Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's day 2009

I think I just realized that I am a selfish, pouty snob. And I apologize to those who I interact with regularly that I just figured this out.

I was not anticipating a good mother's day at all. At most, maybe fair to partly cloudy. I worked Saturday night, was planning to see both Justin's mom and my mom and after sleeping during the morning and church in the afternoon, where was my time? I mean, really. I am a mom and wanted my time to be cherished and loved and oohed and aahhhed over. To say the least, I was super bugged that the day would pass as any other.

To add to this injustice, Justin and the boys (and my father in law) went to Pocatello for Nick's baseball tournament on Friday afternoon and got home late Saturday night. We rented a car since our van is super old and wouldn't tolerate the trip well and Justin needed to take the car back on Sunday morning. Since I worked on Saturday night, I told Justin I would just meet him at the airport and then we would just drive home from there. Mind you, in my brain I was begrugingly doing this because this would also mean I would not get the ceremonial breakfast in bed and be showered with kisses while eating. Oh well, I had missed my little family terribly and was glad that they were home and safe.

Upon pulling up to the little area where they were waiting, I just saw the three older boys and they started dancing and shouting and waving their arms in the air when they saw me. I got out and was engulfed in hugs. As all of this was going on, I heard a "MOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYY!" and saw my last little boy running with a huge smile on his face barreling toward me. Okay, this day has already exceeded my expectations.

We got home and I went to sleep. Yep, I slept through church and got up at 2:00. I was awakened with a huge bouquet of flowers and a sweet card that the boys had recorded and was showered with kisses. Got up, showered, wrapped presents, and went to my mother in laws house and had a delightful visit. My mother in law wants everyone around her to be happy and works hard to make people comfortable. She told us about their recent trip to St. George and how it reminded her of when her kids were little. She is a wonderful mom and Omi to our kids and we are forever grateful for her influence in our lives.

Then, up to my parent's house. More visiting, hanging out with Luke, Liam, and Caroline on the hammock, a delicious dinner, hugs from my grandmother, a chocolate fondue fight with my brother, my dad's famous popcorn while watching Indiana Jones, seeing my aunt and cousin whom I don't see very often, and having a great time.

My mom is incredible and I love her tons. She is a great example of motherhood and I am glad I have such a fantastic role model to follow as I am raising my boys. Although I have inherited more of her quirks than her talents of quilting, knitting, etc., she never seems to get tired of helping me with what would otherwise be simple sewing tasks and the like. I still always call her for advice and she is usually up for an adventure--whether it be with the kids or helping me paint my house or organize something. Thank you mom for being SO wonderful! I love you!

So, I guess that I really did have a fantastic day and that it was because I did what is important. Because the focus was on family and being together, I realized that this is the day I wanted to have all along.

I will leave you with a part of the book that Luke wrote about me at school. This section is called "My mom is..." (I hope he just caught me on an off day for a few of them!)

-My mom is happy.
-My mom is exsidid.
-My mom is crazy.
-My mom is cranky.
-My mom is angry.
-My mom is sleepy.
-My mom is redey for Mothors Day.
-My mom is sad.
-My mom loves me.
-My mom is butaful.

4 comments:

Adrianne said...

You are wonderful and beautiful and I think that you DO deserve to be the queen for a day! Being surrounded by your happy children and husband are a great witness to the wonderful mother that they think you are! One day we will spend a quiet mothers day and it will probably be with tears in our eyes as we remember these days of motherhood when we hardly get 5 minutes to ourselves! You are a fantastic mother- glad that you enjoyed the day!

Anonymous said...

First thank you for the compliment. I love you all and it makes my day when we can all be together or even one child/family at a time. To see what a wonderful mother you are reaffirms to me that I must have done things right when bringing you up. You are a wonderful mother. You can tell because the boys (including Justin) and like to have you around. I look at you and try to get pointers on how to be a better mom and grandmother. Thank you for your example. It was a wild, crazy, fun day yesterday. A good mother's day.

Whitney said...

I'm glad that you had a great Mother's Day! That really is the best part of the day, spending time with all of the family!!

The Beckstroms said...

I am still laughing over the Luke list...I especially love how they spell things, it's the cutest! And their card was to die for, I am so glad that you brought it. It was so fun at mom's! Thanks again for getting the present.
I look at what you do as a mom and try to follow that everyday, you do such a great job!