Saturday, January 8, 2011

Love

This year I was having a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit. I was totally feeling it around the end of October when most of my shopping was done but I think I peaked too early and fizzled out sometime around Thanksgiving. I wanted to feel all warm and spiritual and loving but I was frazzled and stressed and trying to do way too many things that I thought would put me in the holiday mood but it did quite the opposite.

I was thinking that if I got my shopping done early that I would have more time. I thought that with the more time I could do more things. And by doing more things it totally backfired on me and I was feeling like the Grinch with my heart 3 sizes too small. I just needed to slow down and let the spirit of the season ooze into my soul and I needed to delight in all of the magic that was already around me. Having children around at Christmas is my favorite thing ever. I love that they make projects at school to bring home and hang on the fridge. I love that they are humming or singing Christmas songs. I love that their little minds are always buzzing with excitement at what the present with their name on it under the tree might hold. I love that they think of others more, help each other more, and love each other more.

When I stopped to think about this and was being Santa's helper on Christmas Eve it finally sunk in. I hope I can remember that it is not all that we can squeeze into the Christmas season that makes it special, but how we spend it as a family. This realization came not a moment too soon.

Christmas morning came with these smiling faces and their eager anticipation while dad goes to check if Santa truly came.



I feel very blessed that Santa does come to visit my boys. I think that even though they are your typical boy that likes to fart, tease, giggle at potty talk, and get dirty, they are such good boys that also like to help, laugh, and love.

I also love the expressions on their faces when they get that special present that they asked for. Over and over and over.






I was very excited about Justin's present. I made him a University of Utah t shirt blanket. I got the idea from my sister who made her husband one for his birthday and I knew that Justin had to have one. Although my mom helped quite a bit I still feel I contributed enough to say that I made it. I was very proud of myself and Justin loved it.






The rest of the day was fantastic. It was laid back and spent with family and toys were played with. Time was also taken to remember our dear Savior. I am so grateful for Him and all he did for me. I have a long way to go before I will feel that I am worthy to see Him again but I am trying everyday. I hope I can slow down not just at Christmas time but throughout the year to remember him and be more like him. Then maybe next Christmas, it will mean even more.






6 comments:

The Winegar's said...

I love you. It was fun to see the look on Justin's face. We wanted to pull our hair out at times but it was well worth it.

maxfamclan said...

Lovely, lovely post. Truer words were never blogged.

And I ADORE your blanket!!!!!

The Beckstroms said...

We loved this post and Caroline loved seeing the happy boys. The quilt looks incredible and cozy! We were so glad to be able to spend time with you guys, it made the time so special for us! Love you!

Here And Happy! said...

Well, you certainly contributed to MY Christmas season happiness, with delightful cookie decorating that included me, Caroline, Olive and Andrea. It made my day. Thanks for sharing.

L.J. said...

your boys are getting so big and so handsome! fun to find your blog through andrea.

Jer + Lu said...

Love the quilt! What a fantastic idea.