Saturday, January 1, 2011

the weekend before Christmas

Twas the weekend before Christmas & all seemed just right,
getting our home ready for Christmas, all merry and bright.
With parties to go to & planned activities in store,
it promised to be a weekend of memories galore.

On Friday we traveled to my in-laws' place
because Santa was there showing his jolly round face.
We ate and we laughed and went on our way
for Saturday we were going to the Nutcracker ballet.

Early next morning was Luke's basketball game,
he played well at first but then events turned way lame
In the second half he looked as white as a sheet
then spewed all over the court which wasn't so neat.

He went down the court--leaving a trail as he ran
the janitor was definitely not Luke's biggest fan.
We left in a hurry, but outside we would learn
that Andrew decided that he would also have a turn.

The Nutcracker was out, much to my total dismay
since we would be spending quality time next to the bidet;
We found some friends that wanted our seats
and that night I was in the routine of "kid vomits, clean up, repeat."

"Now Clorox! now, sanitizer! Now antibacterial soap!
On Sprite! On saltines! I was at the end of my rope!

And then, on Sunday, Justin was down,
missing another family party (imagine a big frown);
I took all the kids since they all seemed better
But it was then Nick's turn to feel under the weather

Monday he stayed home from school, I was his servant
as the day wore on it became very apparent
That I, too, to this darn bug was succumbing,
as the hours passed by the sicker I was becoming.

"I don't have time to be sick!" I yelled out in fury
but a dose of Ibuprofen took my aches away in a hurry
I went to bed early only to later arise
to be sick, faint twice and into the bathtub I capsized.

As I fell to the ground with a rather large bang
Justin to my side very quickly he sprang
I was not making sense when I finally came to
so he took me to the ED for and IV and labs too!

Everything checked out and I was totally fine
and the bug in our household finally resigned
Back to normal our routine did become,
but with the holiday coming it was anything but humdrum.

With Christmas approaching and still much to do
we were grateful we were over our bout with the flu;
And could be with our family as much as we desired
without worrying that we would be grumpy and tired.

Christmas Eve was a joy, I didn't take pictures
but it was fun to be with family, my hubs, and my youngsters;
We put on their pjs, all our worries a hindsight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"

(pictures to come soon!)

8 comments:

The Winegar's said...

Boy, what a week - huh? It's good it's over. I always knew that if you weren't a nurse you could be a writer. You have quite the talent. You SHOULD write a book about your family adventures and sell it. I would definately read it!!

Adrien and Marty said...

I loved reading this blog (although I am very sorry everyone was sick) you are amazing! Happy everyone has recovered and hope the rest of the season was memorable for happier reasons :)

Here And Happy! said...

Oh Corinne! This sounds so grim. Glad you survived. We enjoyed seeing you and your family at the birthday party. I loved "cookie night" too...great memories.

Jer + Lu said...

Holy smokes!! Such an awful way to spend your holidays!! But you share your story so eloqunetly I can't help but smile :) Glad everyone's doing better!

ps-I've been sharing your christmas card with everyone I pass on the street + they all LOVE your darling fam photo :D

thesuperfantasticbeeders said...

So sorry you all were sick, but I absolutely loved your prose!

ClancyPants said...

Cutest blog post ever! Sorry you were all sick. We got it too but it was on christmas eve for us. :-( it was mostly ella that got it. I really enjoyed reading this. Happy New Year!

Mistie said...

holy cow. i had no idea you were all sick. i know you mentioned you fainted but i didn't realize all this other stuff. and how sad you couldn't do the Nutcracker. I have heard of so many people/families that were sick over this last holiday season...i am happy we have some how escaped it (knock on wood). happy though it was all over for your family by christmas so you could at least enjoy the last bit of it all. :) craziness

maxfamclan said...

You are amazing!!! So creative and fun! Despite the topic being a little less then Christmas fun. I'm glad all was well for the big day and the big break. Keep blogging! I love your cute writing voice...