Monday, April 29, 2013

*boston, day 1-2*

My amazing sister, Erika, qualified to run the Boston marathon. When she found out that she had qualified, I was excited for her, but I was a little bummed because I thought it would be fun to go back to Boston when the weather was a bit nicer than the last time I went. At the time, I was pregnant and would have been VERY pregnant by the time April 15 rolled around so I would just have to be content cheering her from a far. But things changed and Justin and I talked about going back to support her. Justin couldn't get the time off due to another vacation coming up so I talked Nick into accompanying me. I didn't have to twist his arm too hard...the first question he asked was if we were driving. When I said "No,we are flying" that was enough for him.

I am still stuck on this "15 things to see before you are 15" and two of these are in Boston--Fenway Park and the Freedom Trail. I was excited to check them off our list. The other boys will get their turn to go on a fun trip too, don't worry, they are not being left out.

The flight there was super full and none of us were able to sit next to each other except for our parents. I was worried about Nick but that proved to be unnecessary because he did just fine on his first flight.

I do have to mention one thing about when we were going through security. Nick was in the scanner and the guard looked at him, then at me, and then back at Nick. He asked me: "Are you the mother?" I responded: "Yes." He commented: "Young mother!" "I am older than I look." "Oh, I thought you could be his sister." Then he let my sister and I around the scanner, I guess we looked so young and innocent that we couldn't be packing heat.

It was a lovely way to start our trip.


We arrived at our hotel around 8:00 Boston time so we drove around to find a place to eat. There was a little sandwich shop just down the street from the hotel but more importantly, just across the street from the shop was the creepiest cemetery entrance I had ever seen. It seriously was right out of a scary movie. Not a horror movie with all the blood and guts but a suspenseful, old-time scary movie with someone chasing you but you can't see them and you are trying to keep your breathing quiet as you are hiding behind a headstone and think you are safe and then...well, you get the idea.

So, the first thing on our agenda when we woke up was to visit the creepy cemetery.



It was still a little eerie--definitely not as bad as if we were to have visited the night before, but still had that creepy vibe. Quiet except for the occasional crow sounding off, it was rainy and a little dreary outside, some headstones leaning off to one side or the other as if someone was trying to push out from the grave, moss covered benches. I am sure glad that I had others there with me or else my mind really would have begun racing.

This headstone is Ms Stearns' and she was born two days before the Declaration of Independence was signed. Not the oldest one in the place but pretty cool none the less. We also found a woman who lived to be 99 years old and she died in the 1800s. Who lived that long back then? She must have been one tough cookie.



To keep with our morbid theme, we headed up to Salem to spend the day.


Salem was fun but I was a little disappointed. It seemed like a huge tourist trap and I think I really wanted it to be the way it was in the 1600s. At least I can say that I have been there and I don't feel a desire to visit again. We saw a presentation on the witch trials and then braved the weather to walk a short distance to the New England chowder company.


Yum. I was pleased that it was actually soup weather so I didn't feel dumb ordering this.


We saw the House of the Seven Gables. To be honest, I don't know the significance of this place but it was pretty. We opted not to pay to take a tour since the weather was so bad but maybe one day.


Then off to the Minute Man museum. (Try saying that 5 times fast). I really liked this place. Although I took American History in high school I either didn't listen very well or I did not retain much of the information. I wish I would have done both. It is fascinating. And to be where these things actually happened that shaped our country was amazing.

We watched a little multimedia presentation about the battle at Lexington and Concord and found out there was a reenactment the next morning. You better believe I became a little giddy.



Then to the Old North Bridge. This site marks the first battle of the American Revolution.


It was beautiful.







My dad in his element.

I loved these rock walls.


I loved this quaint little town of Concord. Because of Patriot's Day (which I thought was the day we remember 9/11 but in fact, it is Massachusetts' equivalent of our Pioneer Day here in Utah) houses, businesses, yards, public parks, all had American flags and buntings everywhere. It was adorable. I am proud to be an American but these people are PROUD to be Americans. I love the enthusiasm and pride that is so evident here for our dear country.


Then off to the beautiful Boston Temple for baptisms. I love that Nick is able, and excited, to do this work.



After the temple, we ate at the Concord Inn. It is a place close to my dad's heart since he ate here many years ago with his parents. The food was good and we even scored a free dessert since my mom took one for the team and had water spilled all over her lap by our waitress.



Thanks mom, the bread pudding was delicious.

2 comments:

Desiree said...

Oh, I loved all those pictures. Kendrick and I used to visit Boston quite often and your pictures brought back so many memories. How fun that Nick got to experience New England at such a fun age:) You are a cute mom!

The Winegar's said...

Every time I think about the bread pudding I salivate. I'm trying to get the recipe. TeeHee.