Monday, July 29, 2013

*boston*

Our last day of vacation was a wonderful one. Very laid back.

I also was able to cross another state off my list and Nick was able to cross off two.

To start off our day, we drove up to Concord and visited the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. It was absolutely breathtaking. I guess it may seem a bit morbid that I think a cemetery is breathtaking, but to me, being laid to rest in such an amazing place is a tribute to those who have passed. The layout was so perfect. There was a beautiful lake, flowering trees, rolling hills, and of course, the stillness that only a cemetery can provide.

It was definitely my most favorite one we visited.



A creepy moment was when my dad found a grave that was marked with his initials AWW and then laid down right on top of it. It was gross. I told him he better watch out or the person underneath may grab him and trade places. We tried to find out who the other AWW was but we didn't have any luck.

There are some seriously amazing people buried here.

Emerson.


Louisa May Alcott.


Henry David Thoreau and his family.



I loved all the markers for the Civil War veterans.


After a lovely visit, we said goodbye to dear Concord. I hope to bring the other boys here to this darling town.


I really, really want my house to look like this after the remodel.



We then stopped off at Walden Pond. I am not quite sure I understand all (or any, for that matter) of what Thoreau wrote and philosophized about, but I can most undoubtedly understand why he wanted to stay here for two years. It is beautiful.



There was a little beach, a path that wound around the lake, and perfect rocks for skipping. I loved watching a few little families play on the sand since the sun was finally out and it wasn't raining or sprinkling that day. Some boys had the same socks Liam has and it made me smile when I saw them to think that I was going to see my darlings soon.




“You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.”





Then we headed up to Vermont to see some covered bridges. I think Nick was less than thrilled to participate in this activity but hey, how often are you this close to Vermont? I think if we would have thought about it we may have tried to visit Joseph Smith's home but we were thinking it was a little far out of our way. It may have been a bit closer had we realized that driving through New Hampshire wasn't the best route. Not only did it make us drive too far north, we were caught in construction traffic. And we got lost like every five minutes. But once we got out of traffic and on the road, it was beautiful scenery and nothing says good family fun like being squished in a car.

We stopped at a place for lunch called Sonny's. I remember this because when I was telling Justin where we were eating my mom overheard me and then looked out the window and in all seriousness said: "No, it is partly cloudy." I looked at her to see if she was playing a joke on me but she wasn't. We all had a good laugh over that one.

We then set out again and found two of the many covered bridges that dot Vermont. It was lovely and quaint and I am so happy that I was able to see them.
We saw this darling red one...




and then this rustic white one. This one is still in operation and we drove over it. Four different times. For fun.





Our trip was a success and I am glad that I was able to have some one on one time with Nick. I am also happy that we are all okay and able to go back to Salt Lake in one piece. I loved being with my cute sister and parents. This is one trip I will never forget. I can't wait to go back.

No comments: