Friday, August 23, 2013

*spring sports*

This spring literally almost killed me.

I have been busy before, with four active boys we are always going from one activity to another, but I can usually look back and say that it honestly wasn't that bad. I was feeling a little inadequate because I was really struggling this year and I couldn't figure out why I was having a hard time keeping everything together.

Well, I counted how many games we attended. This number does not include the practices which were four nights a week for a different boy (or boys) each night in which I was coordinating dropping off and picking up and making sure I made it to the different games (I was often in the car from the time the boys arrived home from school and didn't get home sometimes until 10:00 p.m.) and the seven cancelled games and four baseball trips.

We had one.hundred.and.eight.different.games.

No wonder I was a bit stressed.

I do want to make it known that this is a very fun time in our lives. It just takes a little more planning but it was a little tricky this year because Justin's schedule is not as flexible as it has been so much of the driving--especially Nick out to Herriman--fell on me. I underestimated how much his contribution helped in the past! One of Nick's coaches works just up the street from us and had to come to my rescue a couple times because the other boys had their games here in Salt Lake at the same time Nick had practice. But honestly, I wouldn't give it up for anything. This was Nick's last year of super league and I am heartbroken that we won't be seeing our baseball family as often and traveling with them next year.

Andrew still loves soccer and it was fun to have a little break from baseball every so often.




Liam played for the Durham Bulls with the Crown Colony league. I hated it. The competitive spirit was overwhelming for these little first graders. He did end up with an amazing set of coaches whose main purpose was teaching them the game and making sure the boys had fun so he didn't notice all the politics going on behind the scenes. I am so grateful he didn't end up on any of the other teams because he would have most likely had a very different experience. He learned more about the game but was able to like a goofy, normal, seven year old.

And at the end of the season he said: "I will really miss Coach Jason."
Me: "I know, he really liked you guys."
Liam: "No, he LOVES us."

Again, kudos to his amazing coach.

Dancing on the field...


He caught me watching him!

Playing with his gum...

Baseball ready. (He was reminded multiple times to pay attention during the games. It made me smile.)


And this young man is getting pretty darn good at this game. I love it.




My cute niece Nora sporting shades at the Memorial Day Tournament.



Nothing beats an eighty degree spring day with a huge diet coke and a baseball game to watch. Perfect.

And this day was probably one of the best days Liam had at one of Nick's baseball games. We were down in Lehi and the huge sprinklers were on in the soccer field behind the baseball field and he was thrilled that someone had left a soccer ball. He was in heaven. He stayed cool and I even played a little game with him and he loved it when the sprinklers would catch me.

Luke had a good season with the Angels. He improved quite a bit this year and even had an opportunity to play with a super league team for one of their tournaments. We are hoping that he can play all season with them next spring. Then maybe we won't go through such bad baseball withdrawals.


And then there was football mixed in to the craziness. Nick went after school everyday he didn't have baseball practice to work out with the high school football team. His dedication payed off and he is playing both JV and varsity ball. He will be second string on the varsity team but he is so excited. I am proud of him but I am also a little bit nervous. I mean even though he is taller than me and weighs a ton, he is still my baby.



I was a little relieved when the games started slowing down and we were able to have some free time as a family here and there. But come next spring, I will be ready for this all over again.

2 comments:

Jer + Lu said...

Dang girl! That was lots and lots of games!! You're such a good mama :) Glad you got to kick up your feet and have a coke every once in awhile! xoxo

Malma said...

Oh my gosh! 108!?!?! you really are super woman!