Monday, October 6, 2008

One of my favorite traits: honesty

Today has been a very emotional day. My plan was to go to the bank, go to the zoo, the scrapbook store, and then home to make dinner. Well, there was another plan in store for me.

I went to the credit union this morning to withdraw a considerable sum of money, in cash, to redeposit into a different bank account a few miles away. I put this sum of money in my wallet, went to the car, put Liam into his carseat, and drove to the other bank. When I went to reach for my wallet to make the deposit-it wasn't there. Not under Liam, not on the floor of my car, not in my purse, in my pocket, on top of the car-it was gone. I proceeded to retrace my steps and drove to the credit union. I was sobbing. Freaking out, if you will. I called the credit union to see if I had left my wallet inside or if it was out in the parking lot. They said they would check. Justin called during this and I tried to remain calm but he could tell I had been crying. When he asked me what was wrong, I lost it. He said he would come and help me look for it and he would start and the bank. I made it to the credit union and looked around. Then, as I was in the parking lot the credit union called me back and said it was not there. I was pretty much hysterical at this point. I drove back toward the bank and called Justin to tell him that the credit union did not find it as I was scouring the roads for my little brown wallet. As I was talking to Justin, a call came through with a number I did not recognize. I clicked over and it was my neighbor telling me that a good samaritan had dropped my wallet at her house. All the cash was still there.

I went to my neighbor's house and she had gotten his number. I called him and thanked him profusely. I asked him how he found out where my neighborhood was-my drivers license still has my old address on it. He said he drove to my old house, the people obviously told him I didn't live there and so he said he looked at my checkbook and saw my current address. I cannot believe that someone took all that time to help someone he didn't even know and he was worried about leaving the wallet somewhere that it would be compromised. He said he thought my neighbor looked pretty trustworthy-he was totally right. He apologized for digging through my wallet and I told him that I didn't mind, especially since he brought me the wallet back! I asked him if I could do anything for him and he said no, he just hopes that someone will do something nice for him one day. So, please, if you know anyone named Ben, give him a hug. And spread good karma. You never know when you will need some in return!

I am thankful for honest people and that Heavenly Father answers prayers, a nice day with Liam at the zoo, and that Nick's team won tonight!

10 comments:

The Kleins said...

Wow! That is an amazing story. It really reinforces faith in people.

Anonymous said...

Your story made me cry. It's so wonderful that there are still honest people around. I'm so glad that you had a happy ending.

It was fun at the game. Fun to watch Little League baseball again after so many years. It's always fun to be with the boys!!

Love, Mom

Marilynn said...

Great story with a happy ending. Gave me chills. And a renewed faith in mankind. Thanks for posting it.

Sandie said...

I'm all teary eyed. SO glad this turned out well for you!

Adrianne said...

Wow! aren't you grateful that prayers about wallets, keys, and cell phones are answered. Just goes to show that prayers about BIG things will be answered too . . .

I'm so relieved for you that your wallet was returned!

RockinRhoades said...

I am sooo sorry this happened but so happy that an honest person found your wallet.

ClancyPants said...

HI! This is Browning's old Clancy! I've been Blurking on your blog for a while now and I thought I'd make myself known!

This story really touched me. I'm sos glad it turned out good and that there is a guy named Ben who's an honest, good hearted fellow. He will be blessed, as you were. :)

It's been fun to see your blog and learn about you and your precious family! You are still as beautiful as ever and I love your grateful three you post all the time. They uplift me.

Smiles,
Clancy

maxfamclan said...

That is an amazing story. You brought tears to my eyes...good story telling skills, I felt your panic and relief!

Mistie said...

WOW!! I am so happy that you got your money back. Weren't we just talking about someone who returned your wallet at Disneyland? There are trustworthy people out there.

Alli grins said...

Whew! I bet that had your heart racing...how scary! Glad you got your happy ending. Your blog is so uplifting and positive. Thanks for sharing your grateful & happy attitude. I also love seeing your dinner plans for the week. You are so organized. I don't have your e-mail, but I wanted to send you an update about a recipe I posted for Gingersnap cookies on my website (I had posted the wrong recipe). Have a great week:-)