Monday, August 31, 2009

Back to school 2009










The first day of school went off without a hitch for all. The three older boys started last Monday, August 24th and they were up at the crack of dawn and ready at 7:15 and they don't need to leave the house to walk to school until 8:10. I think this was one of the hardest hours of my life trying to keep them entertained enough so they wouldn't leave the house. They even had their lunches made and practicing done...it made me wish that it was this easy to be this organized all before eight in the morning. And then I asked myself a question that freaked me out: "Really, do I seriously have a fifth grader??"

I remember fifth grade. Mrs. Norris was my teacher and she was fantastic. My best friend was Ashley Lindsey and it was the year that Cool Ranch Doritos hit the shelves and we thought we were so cool because we watched Moonlighting and Miami Vice. Keds were the hot shoe to have and I begged my mom to shell out the $20 it cost to buy me some. I even had penguins stamped on a pair. I won the spelling bee, had a little boyfriend named David and he gave me a Snoopy valentine on Valentine's day. I think I even still have it.

I don't believe that I have a child old enough to have these kind of memories, little ones that will stay with him forever.

I also remember third grade...we listened to Michael Jackson's "Beat It" one day in class and debated whether or not "funky" was a bad word or not. My teacher was a little eccentric and we did a ton of art projects. I learned about quotation marks and when to use commas. Andrew is now in third grade and he says he wants to buy a Michael Jackson cd. I bought his Thriller album when I turned ten and drooled over the poster of him in a white jacket and a tiger. My first celebrity crush.

Luke is in second grade and the only thing I really remember is throwing up on someone in reading circle. Oh well.






literally jumping for joy


Liam's first day of preschool also went well. Bus driver Brad came and picked him up and Liam hopped on and buckled himself in and left me with two whole hours of alone time that I filled by running a gazillion errands to get things done for his birthday party. One random memory I have of preschool is my preschool teacher shooting her finger with a stapler while putting up a bulletin board.

Ahhhh, memories.

4 comments:

ClancyPants said...

Liam is so cute I could just eat him! Seriously love that cheese-eatin' grin!!!

Your other three are so big and so handsome.

I remember fifth grade too. I also had Mrs. Norris and Natalie Burns and I fell over ourselves laughing because Mrs. Norris talked to us about periods. (not the punctuation mark!)

Sarah and I had the same poster of Micheal Jackson with the tiger on our ceiling. And we had him in the white jacket with the yellow shirt. Remember when the Thriller music video came out and we all freaked? My mom "rented" a VCR and rented Thriller and it was the best Friday night ever!

And I remember Andrea and I pretending to be Micheal and Mrs. Micheal Jackson. We would sleep on our laundry pile and say goodnight to each other.

Ah... memories!

Happy school!

The Beckstroms said...

Ha ha, you and Clancy both made me laugh. So we all had Mrs. Norris and she was great I thought, and a little scary at times.
The boys look so so cute and grown up. Luke's hair is sun bleached too, how cute! That is the best, the first day, the excitement, the crisp clothes, that is why I love fall!

Mom said...

Isn't it nice that they are excited for school and that they LIKE school? And Liam, all grown up going to school on the bus. Ahhh and a few hours of alone time. Theeee best!

maxfamclan said...

I love reading your memories and thoughts! It is crazy to watch kids grow so fast. I may just copyyoyr stylewhen I get around to posting makaela's first day. Your have such a cute blogging style. And your boys are absolutely adorable!!!