Sunday, July 18, 2010

thank goodness for junior mints

One of our favorite things to do after I work a night shift is to go swimming. Not only do the boys wear themselves out but I get to actually see the sun and relax for the most part.

Liam and I were relaxing on our towels and I was eating my post night shift lunch of Super Rope, nachos, chilled Junior Mints, and Diet Coke. Hey, don't judge, there is some dairy in there. I was listening to the music playing enjoying myself quite immensely and then I heard a little voice ask their mommy how babies got into mommy's tummies. I smiled to myself thinking how awkward that mom must feel and that she had to have "the talk" at the POOL with tons of people around. Then I heard it again and the little voice was tapping me on the arm. It seemed like slow motion when I turned to look at the voice and found it was coming from the mouth of my four year old son.

"What?"
"How do babies get into mommy's tummies?"

I thought of the answer that usually suffices him.
"Heavenly Father puts them there."

"How?"

Crap. It didn't work.

"Well, the mommy has eggs and the egg goes to the uterus and the baby grows inside of it."
"How?"
"Um, the dad plants a seed and then the baby grows in the egg."
"Oh." His little face was screnched up the way it does when he is analyzing something in his little mind. "Does the egg crack and then the baby comes out?" I could just envision what he was thinking about. A little baby with a poky thing on its nose cracking the eggshell from the inside.
"No, the doctor helps break it sometimes."
"How?"

Abort! Abort! I was not about to tell him that the doctor sticks a long crochet needle up inside the uterus and breaks the water.

"Well, the baby just grows so big that it breaks it."
"Oh. How does the baby get out of the tummy?"
"The doctor can do a surgery and cut it out of the tummy or the mommy pushes it out."

"Where does it come out?"

Darn him and his curiosity. In our home we don't make up names for our private parts. Being in the medical field I would much rather them know the correct term than some slang one. We really only talk about boy parts since they are so prevalent in our home and my parts tend to get overlooked. I did not want to start a conversation about this right then and there. I thought about what I could tell him that would not be too specific and answer his question at the same time. I just didn't want his primary class to get an anatomy lesson on Sunday if you know what I mean. I then realized what I could say to end this conversation once and for all.

"Here. Have another Junior Mint."

9 comments:

Mistie said...

lol. what a sweetheart. i need to learn from your example to just tell them straight forward answers about topics like that. Ashton was close to Liam's age when Seni was born and i remember all the same questions. fun times.

The Winegar's said...

I woke up with a headache and then proceeded to read your blog. It made me laugh and helped take my mind of the ache. Cute little Liam. I'm glad that the Junior Mints got his mind off the subject and way to go thinking of them to get his mind off of the subject.

Marilynn said...

Sheesh - that was a squirmer...

Janilynn said...

I love it, it brought a smile to my face. Sounds like you and your family are doing well. Miss you!

Kate said...

haha, cute little Liam :)

Adrianne said...

love that Liam and his curosity!! Thanks for the laughs.

Sandie said...

I needed that. Thanks for making me smile. Who knew jr. mints could come in so handy. ;)

The Beckstroms said...

I can just picture the little wheels in his head working away trying to figure this one out. You had way good answers and had a great way to abort!! I am frieked out for this day to come.

Lohra said...

Haha, I love Junior Mints too. Maybe that's how I grew up so ignorant. :)