Friday, May 13, 2011

over the moon

Last Friday night the third grade hosted a star gazing party. One of the teacher's dads and his friend each own one of these babies:



The email I received from Luke's teacher said that we would be able to see the moon and Saturn's rings. I didn't really know what to expect although I was pretty stoked to be able to see the rings even if I didn't get to see the whole planet. And you bet your bottom dollar if I was stoked, my darling 5 year old was beyond excited.

He basically would tell anyone he met that he was going to see the moon and Saturn's rings. I told him at least 2 weeks in advance and he never forgot.

It was pretty darn amazing. The detail of the moon was absoulutely pristine and we did infact get to see the entire planet of Saturn and even 3 of its moons. To me it looked like you were looking through a telescope the wrong way at a little white sticker on a black piece of paper with lots of little white dots.





It was a crazy day that day and I planned so many things and didn't realize that I had to work the night before. Silly me. We had Luke's birthday party that ended just a half hour before (to be seen in another post!) and I surprisingly not even tired. And I am so glad that I went because I would not have missed this expression for the world when he was able to see one of his beloved planets in its true environment.



Priceless.

4 comments:

The Winegar's said...

Liam just amazes me how much he knows about the planets. It's really neat that he has that interest in something so interesting and amazing. I'm so glad that you all were able to see some of the planets. What a neat experience.

The Beckstroms said...

Oh that picture is Priceless, it made me cry it's just so cute. I love that you all got to go see space! That is such a unique thing, Liam so deserves to see his true love :)

Here And Happy! said...

Don't you just love how your kids gravitate to their own interests and become totally absorbed in pursuing them? Liam's interest in space is so fun. Hurray for star parties!

Adrien and Marty said...

Wow, what a great teacher and what a neat experience. Looks like everyone loved it :)