Tuesday, September 20, 2011

adventure *day 12*

We left Niagara early in the morning to drive down to New York City.

We had tickets to the Mets game that started at 4 in the afternoon. We hurried to our hotel that was in Jersey City, New Jersey, dropped our stuff off, and walked over to the PATH train that would take us over to the city via the Holland Tunnel.

Then we deciphered the subway system and hopped on a train to Queens. I am not a very adventurous person and the subway freaked me out. The stations were hot and crowded, so many trains going so many different places, I was afraid that I would lose my kids, afraid we were going to get lost, afraid that we were going to get pick pocketed, afraid of pretty much everything. Justin kept telling me that I needed to chill out.

The two days we were there were torturous for me. I hated it. I think we tried to pack way too much into too little time and I was exhausted even before trudging up and down the busy streets. I tried to not be too vocal about how I felt around my kids because I didn't want them not liking the city because of my feelings. Andrew however was not shy about he felt though. He hated it too. Luke absolutely loved it.

Now that I have been home for a couple months, I realize that I did get to see some amazing sights and I did have a good time. I just didn't love it at the moment. I may consider going back to give it a second chance. And maybe just see a couple things and go to a show. Maybe.

That all being said, we made it to Citifield and watched the Mets beat the Phillies.


The stadium is absolutely ginormous.





olive is always the entertainer. She thought it was so funny to have this cup on her head and dance around. We thought it was pretty darn funny too.


After the game we decided to visit Times Square in all its lit up glory.






As we were walking around, Luke was making all sorts of comments. Two of my favorites:

There had just been a celebration of some sort just past Times Square and there was garbage everywhere. Luke kept making little remarks under his breath like: "This is gross!" "I can't believe all the garbage!" And then after a minute he said to me: "I feel so bad for all the workers! This will take forever to clean up!"

We walked by a billboard advertising lotion with a picture of a naked lady from the neck down laying on her abdomen. Luke stared at it for a minute and then asked: "Why do they need to show her bum? Why can't they just take a picture of her foot or something?"

I was too tired to try to explain anything so we just kept walking.

Luke wanted to take some pictures and after the last one he took looked at the screen and noticed the word "Hersheys." It is pretty obvious where we ended up.


They had this cool candy loading device that made it seem like as the kids turned the wheels, the candy was pouring into a cute little bucket right from the ceiling. We were able to choose from quite a few different delicacies from the Hershey minis collection. My boys chose Reeces peanut butter cups and Hershey kisses. It was totally worth the 12 bucks.









We decided it was time to leave after Justin was presented a gift from a very masculine looking lady. Or a very feminine looking gentleman.

Yup, my man still has it.

3 comments:

The Winegar's said...

Good for Luke with the naked lady comment! You've taught him well. Yes, why DO they have to show naked ladies? (A rhetorical question) That candy machine was awesome. Dad is still coveting all that candy. I didn't realize Justin was approached. How funny. We did have a great time that night!

maxfamclan said...

I loving the stories and pictures! Definitely made memories to last a lifetime!

The Beckstroms said...

It was a CRAZY couple of days, but I LOVED having you guys there. It was so fun to be in NY with you guys. We should go back just the girls and take it a little bit slower pace, shop, eat at Sarabeths, etc. we will plan it someday :)