Monday, December 5, 2011

*until next year*

Championship games baby.

It was frigid cold. The uncomfortable cold that bites and goes all the way through the body and rattles your bones. I am so happy that I decided to bring a million blankets.

Yes, Liam is in this pile somewhere. Everyone kept asking where he was and couldn't believe that he was holed up in his little cave. He totally fell asleep. It was awesome.



And the game was SO worth the agony of exposing ourselves to the bitter elements. Just to recap, we played against Stansbury. During the regular season we had tie game of 0-0 for the entire time of regulation and then we scored during overtime and held them for the win.



This game was intense. I was so worried that it was going to come down to a second overtime duel between the two teams. To be honest, I don't think my heart could have handled it.

Herriman scored first and played an incredible game of defense. Nick had a very good game including catching 4 passes. One of Nick's friends, also named Nick, deflected two passes forcing Stansbury to their fourth down and giving us the ball with under two minutes to go in the game. But on the punt, it hit one of our players which awarded Grantsville the automatic first down at their own 5 yard line.

I felt sick. I wanted the boys to win so bad and I felt all hope was lost to get out of this game without going into overtime. And who knows what can happen then.




But you know what? Our defense held them inside the 5 yard line with less than a minute left for four downs. They really didn't even come close.




I am totally lying because I really bit all my nails off and almost peed my pants but it was so amazing to watch our guys hold their ground and come away champions.




Yes, champions. They earned the right to wave their one pointer finger in the air and
jump up and down and hug and yell their little hearts out.





Herriman 6. Stansbury 0. What else is amazing is that for the entire season, Herriman's defense only allowed 49 points to be scored and the offense scored 217 points. Pretty. freaking. awesome.



During Andrew's game I had to keep imagining that I lived on a tropical island and that it was insanely hot outside. The weather was even more miserable than Nick's game if that is even possible. And just to add insult to injury, the snack shack ran out of hot cocoa. That should be a felony.

Seeing my cute niece visiting from D.C. helped warm my spirits a bit though.


Although the spectators suffered, thankfully the team had a little hut set up with multiple heaters to keep them warm.

Andrew and his team played well. They had barely lost to this Alta team during the regular season by only one point so it was a fair matchup. Herriman scored first and had the lead at halftime.


Alta rarely ran the ball down Andrew's side because he has established himself as a tough defender. I am so proud of Andrew and all he has learned in his first year.

It was a high scoring game and in the end we lost 27-22.


Second place is pretty darn awesome though and Andrew was excited about finishing out the season so well.


Here is to free Saturdays. At least until basketball starts.

1 comment:

The Winegar's said...

Those games were worth the cold. It was so fun to see them play so well and win, in Nick's case, and come in 2nd in Andrew's. I am so proud of their accomplishments.