Saturday, June 9, 2012

*the box*

We were packing our place up to get ready to move and Liam became obsessed with the large, brown boxes I brought home to store our things in. He would ask me daily for a box of his own and I would frequently catch him trying to sneak one of the packing boxes to play with.

I kept telling him that I would get him one from work but always came home empty handed because while our supplies were being unloaded, I was busy or would just plain forget about saving him a box.

One day, I walked into the break room and our unit had bought a new microwave. And the box was still in the breakroom. I snagged it and took it home. Immediately, a strong bond was formed and it was like Liam had found a new best friend.



It is a car. A boat. A clubhouse. A spy headquarters. A place for his various stuffed items. A place just. for. him.
He will carry this thing everywhere and just sit in it. Sometimes he even wants me to shut him up inside and put a blanket on top of it while he plays with his Leappad. I am met with strong protests when I get nervous that he is suffocating and remove the blanket and inquire if he is doing okay.



He had to fill out a questionaire as the last days of Kindergarten were approaching. When asked to list his favorite toy, he said it was his box.



It is decorated just the way he likes it. A little pencil here. A little marker there. And of course, stickers.

He wants a box just a little bit smaller now that will fit inside.




I am not quite sure what he will do with it, but I am sure it will be just as well loved as this one.


1 comment:

maxfamclan said...

Such a wonderful childhood only thing! I love it! It really is the simple things sometimes that let them do whatever they want without us saying "no."