Monday, May 17, 2010

i left my heart

I found a new love. It's name is San Francisco.

Liam and I joined my family for the joyous occasion of the sealing of my brother Clark to his lovely bride, Kate in the Oakland Temple on Saturday. And it wouldn't be a Winegar family vacation without squeezing a bunch of fun into just a little amount of time.

We arrived Thursday evening to Concord, California where our lovely accommodations were located. Upon arrival there was a freaky lady in the parking lot that immediately focused on Liam which made me super nervous. While my dad was checking in she hung out in the lobby with all of us and just stared. Then after we went to go and unload all our stuff she followed us and hung out by our cars. I mentioned this to my dad because the last thing I wanted was to have her be an employee and have access to a key to come in and steal Liam. He asked the front desk and they said she was a guest here. Not the thing I wanted to arrive to but after we got our stuff in the room, Liam and I went in the hot tub and then went to sleep.

In the morning, we ate breakfast in the lobby and my sister and her family was there from New Hampshire! SO so excited to see them! Caroline just came to me and wouldn't let go. I was so happy that she recognized me! Creepy McCreepface was there with a notebook this time and was also super interested in my nieces. She was writing everything down: names, birthdays, who belonged to who...freaky. My brother in law confronted her and she said that she didn't have to take his harassment and told him she was a trained psychiatrist. Whatever...I think she received her training from all the times she had been seen. Come to find out she is a resident in a program there that houses stable mentally challenged patients. After that we just brought food to the kids in our rooms.

Anyway...that morning we headed off to Alcatraz. It was an adventure getting there, we made our boat with just two minutes to spare. But are you kidding me? The city is gorgeous! I was in awe as we drove over the Bay Bridge and there was the ocean stretching on as far as my eyes could see. When we got on our boat to take us to Alcatraz Island, Liam asked where we were going and I told him we were going to an old jail. His whole demeanor changed and he asked me if we were going to stay there. After I told him we were just visiting, he felt better about the whole thing. I never realized how beautiful the grounds were. I wish I would have taken more pictures of the flowers there but I guess that just gives me a reason to go back.










After our tour, we headed down to Fisherman's Wharf to Boudin's to eat. It was a darling bakery--they make sourdough bread in the shape of different animals and had lots of yummy treats to choose from. I have been craving clam chowder in a bread bowl since I went to Boston and I finally was able to have it. Muy delicioso. We also caught a glimpse of the seals that hang out around Pier 39. This city has so many things going on and has such a fun vibe. We then started walking back to our cars to head to Chinatown and my sister Erika and I were scared by a random man on the street dressed as a shrubbery. I didn't particularly love Chinatown but it was good to hang out with family. I got my diet coke fix for the day there and watched Liam throw poppers on the ground that would startle a few unsuspecting people sauntering on the sidewalks. It was the best 25 cents I think I have ever spent and Erika and I felt justified in our run in with the scary bush.






We then rushed back to the motel to get ready for the wedding dinner and I finally was able to see my brother and his cute love. Her family was so down to earth and I am glad to see that they love him as much as we do. It was in Kate's parent's backyard and it was perfect. We ate yummy food and visited, told stories about Clark and Kate, and Kate's brother in laws (and soon to be hubby) serenaded their ladies with Earth Angel.







Saturday we all headed to the temple! The Oakland Temple is absolutely stunning. The sealing was beautiful. One of my favorite things the sealer said to the new couple as they were looking in the mirrors was this: "Clark, (he actually called him Kenneth but I will say Clark) how many of you do you see?" Clark: "Just one." "And how many of Kate do you see?" "Infinite." "Kate, how many of you do you see?" Kate: "Just one." "How many of Clark do you see?" "Infinite." The sealer then went on to say: "This always comes out a bit feticious but it is not meant to be. Only seeing yourself once is enough." I thought that was awesome. I feel I have been quite selfish lately in my marriage and this really helped me dedicate myself to being a better wifey.



















We were planning to make a run into San Francisco between the sealing and the reception but there was not enough time. At the reception my sister Erika asked me if I was bummed if we didn't make it to Ghirardelli Square for ice cream since I had been dreaming about going there since I found out we were coming to San Francisco. I also had wanted to see the Golden Gate Bridge--when I say see, I wanted to physically touch it. I said yeah, but it was okay because I am totally planning to come back with Justin sometime. My cute aunt said she would go back with me after the reception if I wanted to go. I said if she was serious I was totally up for it. Then everyone jumped on board and I was able to have both my wishes come true. I ordered a dark chocolate mint sundae which should be outlawed it is so darn delicious and I was completely content. Then we drove across the Golden Gate Bridge each way. Ah, I am a lucky girl.







Goodbye San Francisco. I love you. And, I will be back.

5 comments:

bludworths said...

How fun - minus the creepy lady!!! Glad to know the shrubbery guy is still there. He attacked me at least 7 years ago!!! Hope you get to go back soon!

Mistie said...

What a fun trip...and i am sure it was great to see Andrea and her girls too. I love California...so much to do and explore. And crazy about Liam's stalker lady...i swear there always has to be someone like that lurking around the corner!

maxfamclan said...

Oh, I heart San Fran too. What a fun trip for you! Makes me want to jump in my car (especially since the kids are currently arguing...again). You look beautiful and so does all your family!

The Beckstroms said...

I LOVE the post and I LOVE San Fran! That was the best trip and so fun to reunite in Cali!! Creepy McCreepface was so...how should I say it...CREEPY!! Glad we are home safe and sound with the kids. Let the good times begin...everyday!

The Beckstroms said...

We were looking at these pics again and Caroline said, "I want to marry Liam." :) She just loves the boys!