Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Being President's Day on Monday it was a holiday for everyone. When I mean everyone I mean that the boys didn't have school and Justin didn't have to work and I was lucky enough to have the night off before. So, we headed up to the charming town of Midway to see the ice castles.

We stopped and ate at the Dairy Keen in Heber before we began our adventure. I love the Dairy Keen. I have been super good about fried foods and fatty burgers and rarely consume them but I went all out. I totally recommend the Train Burger when you go...a delicious fatty burger topped with TWO kinds of cheese, thinly sliced ham, and the right amount of sauce. Add deliciously perfectly cooked fries dunked in fry sauce and a cherry diet coke and you have officially created a homage to the food gods.

There was a house right next door to this lovely establishment and Luke told me he thought it would be cool to live there so we could come to the Dairy Keen for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I guess that would be okay until you needed a lift to get me out of my cut out front door when I am featured on that show the 600 pound woman. But I think, maybe, it would be worth it.

Then...off to our destination.




The ice castles were beautiful! It was pretty amazing to see these structures made entirely of ice. At one turn there was a stunning large open area and I commented to Justin that I felt like an ice princess. Justin replied with "You didn't just say that" and then I was teased by him and Nicholas the rest of the time there. Hey, a girl can dream right?

We had fun exploring and the weather made it especially enjoyable. We almost went up on Saturday but it was a blizzard so I am glad that it worked out that we could go another time when the weather was more cooperative. As if to add to the beauty of it all, little light snowflakes were falling as we were walking around.



Luke liked looking at the deep recesses of the castles and seeing this blue color.







We ran into one of my darling high school friends up there and she snapped this cute photo of our family.


If you want more information, go here. They originally were just going to be open through the 28th but it looks like the date is extended to March 5. It is worth the trip!

5 comments:

Mistie said...

holy crap! How do you learn about these cool ideas? That is awesome. I love things like this. i know that Utah has things like this, it is just finding out about them! and i love that last picture of your family. Definetely a framer. i need to talk troy into heading up there soon. so fun!

Anonymous said...

That looks like such fun. I want to go!! Do you want to go again? That IS a great picture of the family and everyone has a normal face. Hey, like the scarf? HeeHee

Marilynn said...

Wow, very cool! I have never heard about these before, either! And that family pic is beyond adorable.

maxfamclan said...

THat is awesome! How do you figure these things out? Sooooo fun! THanks for the great idea! Cute, cute family. And yes, a girl can definitely dream. You can come watch Barbie the Ice Princess with us anytime. ;) And go to ice skating lessons.

The Beckstroms said...

That looks incredible! Are they there during Christmas, I hope I can go next winter. the family pic is adorable, who was the friend? can't wait to ask you. hope your voice is better, I lost mine for a spell too!