Monday, March 21, 2011

darn those ears

Liam has been very predictable when it comes to ear infections. Once he gets a stuffy nose he ends up a nasty, pus filled eardrum. For years we have evaded tubes and I thought we were home free since he is older.

No dice.

He has had 5 ear infections this year, 3 within the last two months, 4 different antibiotics, including a 3 day course of Rocephin shots.

He giggled when he received them. I felt so bad that he had to get these injections that I gave him a little treat after every one.

Here he is engrossed in his $1 Jo-Anns space color by numbers after round one of Rocephin:


We set up an appointment with the ENT and he thought it would be a good idea if he had tubes placed and possible cauterization of his adenoids.

The procedure was done on the 22nd. I didn't bring my camera because I didn't know how much time we would have since they kept saying that it was a speedy procedure and by the time I thought about it I had left it at home anyway.

I don't want to forget though how cute he was perusing a magazine in the waiting room with his little legs crossed, how he looked in his hospital gown covered in colored suns, how he answered all of the doctor's questions, how everyone who came in contact with him was smitten with him and his gorgeous eyelashes, how he was worried that I wasn't in the recovery room and thought I had left him but how relieved he was to see that I was in his room waiting for him to return, how well behaved everyone said he was, how I spoon fed him vanilla ice cream and held his glass of apple juice while he sipped it out of a straw, how when I asked him if he was ready to go, he was reclined in his stretcher, his head on his pillow pet, little ankles crossed snuggled in a blanket watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with the remote right up on his shoulder and he said: "Give me 30."

I am glad that it was such a minor procedure and that everything went okay. They ended up not having to do anything with his adenoids so there was no intubation or IV. I hope this solves the problem with his recurrent ear infections and the ENT said he will most likely only have the tubes in for about a year. Liam was quite unfazed with the whole thing. He was be-bopping around at the park later that afternoon going against doctor's orders to stay down for 24 hours.

Oh well, what they won't know won't hurt them, right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course he captivated everyone. He is definately a cutie and I'm glad that he came through everything okey dokey. Yes, let's hope that this does the trick.

The Beckstroms said...

Oh man, this had my crying. Your writing is so good, wish I had that knack! "Give me 30!?" That killed me, how funny. I want to hang out with Liam right NOW! xoxo glad it all went so smoothly

Amy said...

Corinne, tubes are the BEST! We are on our 9th set between four girls and I love not having to worry about ear infections with every cold... for at least a year. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
Amy