Saturday, March 28, 2009

12 years and counting...



March 21 was our 12 year anniversary.

I know, I can't believe it either.

We tried to make plans multiple times for something to do and nothing ever seemed to pan out so as of Friday, March 20, I was expecting to just hang out with Justin and the boys on a beautiful day and then maybe watch a video at home. That is what you do after 12 years of marriage, right? Suddenly become boring and give pecks on the cheek and the only time you are together is right before you go to bed at night and you are both so tired that you just mumble "love ya" and go to sleep and call it good? I was disappointed that I had let it come to this and also bugged that Justin hadn't made more of an effort to get things together.

When Justin arrived home from work on Friday, he had a huge grin on his face and told me that we had to leave the house by 9:15 the next morning because he had a surprise. Oh, geez. I had secretly had plans to sleep in and had come to grips that we weren't doing a whole lot and actually, being lazy sounded just fine to me and this was really screwing up my loafing around. But whatever, at least we were doing something.

I got up and got ready while Justin dealt with the task of getting the boys ready. As I started putting on my makeup he said: "Oh, you don't need that." What? And he let Liam wear the most atrocious outfit out of the house which NEVER happens. And he also said I wouldn't need my camera. I was beginning to think the world was coming to an end. Not document this thing that he was so excited about? And when do I ever leave the house without my camera? I was very suspicious and the way Justin kept grinning at me was starting to freak me out. What in the world was he planning?

We all piled in the car and started driving. We kept driving and driving and driving and eventually ended up at the Gateway. My mind was reeling...a shopping spree? Breakfast? What? We headed up to the second level and Justin just had that silly grin on the entire time. Finally, he spoke. "You deserve this." I still was in the dark until he led me to our destination. The Sanctuary Day Spa. He led me inside and explained that I would be spending six hours getting pampered and then going out to dinner that night at a fancy restaurant. I got a kiss goodbye and hugs from the boys and I was led into absolute bliss. I was a bit concerned at first because really, this was our anniversary and here I am by myself without my honey but that all left about 0.2 seconds into my massage.

Fast forward six hours...

Justin came to pick me up and brought me some fancy clothes to change into for dinner.Again, I was a bit apprehensive because Justin is on a major diet right now and I wasn't psyched to have Justin just sit there and watch me eat my food by myself. But he seemed excited and so I went along with it until he said I needed to wear a blindfold. No. Way. Especially not all the way to the restaurant. So he asked me if I could act surprised when we got to the restaurant and then I could just wear the blindfold when we got there. I agreed and he said that he had cooked dinner and the boys would be serving us. That little stink had this planned all along.



This restaurant has pretty cute employees I think! When we walked inside the house, Justin took off my blindfold and in unison the boys said: "Welcome to Chez Scott. How may we serve you?" Oh geez, my heart absolutely melted.



Candlelight, roses, and mood music from an XM channel on Direct TV.



Even professional photography done by the staff. Wow, Justin thought of everything.



This was my menu custom designed by Nicholas. Justin's was veal and water. So glad I am not on a diet.



The food was exquisite...



...and the service was impeccable. And the tips were cheap...a hug and a kiss and compliments of the wonderful job they were doing. Holey moley, their grins were the cutest things ever. Something I will not forget for a long time. For dessert, the boys and I had molten lava cake from Chili's. Justin had strawberries. Did I mention I am so glad I am not on a diet...the lava cake was delicious.

Our marriage has not been a smooth, lovey dovey ride the entire 12 years. We have had quite a few challenges to overcome and there were times that I was afraid that we would not make it. But, we have made it and have grown both as individuals and as a couple and there is no one else I would have chosen to take this journey with. I love you so much, babe. Thank you for a wonderful day and it will be one memory that I will cherish forever.

13 comments:

Adrianne said...

awesome! down to the last details what a dream come true. you deserve it!! Congrats on 12 years!

Malma said...

how fun is that?! Congrats on 12 years...what a great way to celebrate.

Erin said...

Wow, sounds like a wonderful anniversary! Justin and your boys sure must love you! Glad it was such a great day for you - you deserve it!

The Kleins said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. I can't imagine a better anniversary. Seems so fitting for #12.

Justin--and the boys get some serious points for this one!

ClancyPants said...

Awesome story! Love, love, love the "Menu"! SO cute! "Fake Wine" LOL! What a darling husband you have!

Lindsey Buck said...

That's so cute. I can't believe it's been 12 years; I actually remember you guys getting together, which means I was about 7 years old.
Ha, the picture of your boys all standing together made me smile. I really like Liam's oversized hat.

The Beckstroms said...

I don't know why that made me get so teary. I just think that is the cutest idea ever! Way to go Justin! And the boys?! Could they look any more dapper? What a fun anniversary!

Janilynn said...

Corinne, it does not get any better than that! Congrats you deserve all the pampering.

Mistie said...

What a fun idea. Kudos to Justin. I am impressed he planned all that! I heard something about the plan (i think it was from lee that day when we were visiting him at the hospital) but i didnt know any of the details and i was secretly hoping you would post it soon! How wonderful you had a day at the spa and then a grand finish with your boys serving you. You completely deserved a day like that. Happy Anniversary!

Whitney said...

Well Happy Anniversary!! How lovely! I tell you, I've only been married 2 years and a day out a the spa sounds like the perfect way to celebrate!! Of course I don't have such handsome little waiters to serve me a fancy dinner yet. . .

thesuperfantasticbeeders said...

I love your boys, and what a great anniversary gift!

Sandie said...

It sounds amazing! Happy anniversary.

maxfamclan said...

ok, I am bawling (and it isn't just hormones)! that is the sweetest story! I am so glad to have read it! Thank you for sharing! Couldn't have thought of a more perfect anniversary!