Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sigh.

On Thursday afternoon Liam embraced me in a huge bear hug and made an announcement.

Liam: "I not a baby anymore mom. I a big boy."
Me: "Oh? Can't you just be my baby a little bit longer?"
Liam: "I not a baby anymore I said."

And poof, just like that, my baby is gone.

The signs were evident. The "I do it mineself" stage, pushing limits, deviating away from me more to play with his brothers, and mastering potty training in a matter of days because it was on his terms and he found something that he wanted we could use as a reward. A cork gun. And if that isn't a big boy toy, I don't know what is. His requests for gifts is also getting more expensive, another sure sign one is getting older. When you ask him what he wants for his next birthday, he says he wants a pink camera like mommy's, a green computer (a Dell laptop that he has seen on T.V.), and a Nintendo DS. I hope he is not too disappointed that none of these items will be under the wrapping paper at his party!



I hear many people saying "He is three and a half" or "If he is big enough to tell you, then yes, he is not a baby." But he is my last one, my sidekick, my baby. I have to admit that I relished the fact he was small for his age and although I was worried about his speech problems, the fact he was not speaking well made him stay little a while longer. Selfish? Definately.

Although I was not really ready for this day to come, it is fun to see my boys grow up and learn new things. Liam is now average in his height and weight (finally) and his speaking ability has improved considerably. He is able to express himself now and speak in longer sentences. It is fun to see his little personality emerge more now that he is bigger and can do and say more. Like yesterday when I was trying to nap on the couch and he brought me a blanket and kissed me on the cheek ever so gently and said: "I love you mommy. You a good mommy." Oh, that just warmed my heart.

Liam, I love you more than you will ever know and you are and always will be my baby. I can say this here because you won't be able to read for a while yet. Phew.

10 comments:

The Kleins said...

Oh seriously! He is a doll! I can't believe he's 3 1/2 already. I want him to stay your baby too. :(

Mary Anne said...

What a sweet boy! I totally understand the feeling of not wanting the baby to grow up. My baby is getting closer and closer to six, and I have to remember not to baby her too much (but I still do anyway).

Adrianne said...

oh my goodness he is cute! It is bittersweet to watch them grow up.

At least for me I want them to grow out of the hanging on my leg, temper tantrums in the store stage, but still be the sweet little person who is just learning to explore and love life!

Whitney said...

What a cutie!!! Oh I think sons are the best! And how adorable is that that he announced to you he wasn't a baby?! I know it's sad, but it's definitely very cute.

Sandie said...

I can't believe how big he is! I am actually crying. I know, it's sad that I'm tearing up, but you described it perfectly. I'm finding myself in the same stage. This morning, Cort was talking to me while I was still in bed. I thought he was standing on a stool, and that was why I could see so much of him. As he walked away, I realized there was no stool. Just a "big boy". Super big sigh....

Anonymous said...

I remember being in the delivery room when Liam was born. It doesn't seem that long ago and now he is saying that he is a big boy. It IS so hard to see them grow up. Andrea and I were going through pictures of the family and I had the same feelings as I looked at all of you when you were little and how fun you were and now you are all responsible adults with families of your own (at least 2 of you). Sigh, it is a hard process, seeing your children grow, especially the last one, but when you look back and see how wonderful they become it's all worth it.

maxfamclan said...

Oh so sad! I can't fathom having the youngest be so big! And yet, like you say, in your heart they will always be your baby. My youngest brother had my mom tagging along to everything (tours, performances, volunteering at school), because she wanted to get every "last" in. I have decided that there is nothing wrong with that. You did for the oldest before they had siblings! He is adorable, you have done good and you are a good mom.

The Beckstroms said...

Oh, I could really just eat him up! I love Liam and his cute little laugh and huge smile, when he says "I wuv you!" Going to the zoo the other day was so fun...and way to go Liam on potty training! That was quick! We love you lulu!!

Lohra said...

That was dang cute. You've done a good job, Corinne.

Stephanie said...

I feel your pain. With Kenley being my last, I don't want her to grow up to fast either. At least, she will still let me hold her and rock her. Liam is so cute. Greg talks to Kenley about Liam all the time. I think he's hoping they will hook up.