Friday, October 2, 2009

And it begins

The boys are on fall break this week and the first two days of it were beautiful and sunny and warm and I was stuck inside a classroom learning some exciting new skills for my job. The first day that we actually were able to do something, it snowed.

Yes. It snowed.

And we decided to go to Gardner Village, a super cute, quaint outdoor shopping area. Every year they have a witch display and even though we have seen then a few times, it has become a tradition and it is fun to have the boys search for their favorite ones. This year they mixed it up a bit and put the witches in different places so we were able to walk around the entire place and enjoy ourselves.




Don't worry about the boys being too cold and uncomfortable though. We stopped at the bakery for a doughnut in the middle of our excursion and then at the end went and visited the candy store. That is also a huge tradition and I wish I would remember to take pictures in there but keeping four boys under control in a candy store is not a small undertaking.












I have a love-hate relationship with this time of year. I absolutely love all the fun activities there are to do--all of the festivals and pumpkin patches, making soup more often, the beautiful decorations of nature, pulling on a stylish sweater, and of course, Halloween.

I do not love the cold weather at all. I am a sun loving type of girl and I am so sad that the cold is inevitable and the days are getting shorter. I always think to myself that we are going to move to California or Arizona so on a cold day it is 70 degrees whenever it starts getting cold.

But then I think really, would living in perfect, unchanging weather be that amazing? I think I would miss the seasons, looking at the mountains and seeing a patchwork quilt of color, and much to my disdain, I would miss the first big snowfall of winter because it is absolutely fairytale like. And really, would Christmas seem as magical without the snow? Even though I grumble year after year, I don't think I would have it any other way.

2 comments:

The Beckstroms said...

Ah, snow! You guys beat us to the punch. Glad you could still get out and go to Gardner Village. For some odd reason I have been missing that cute place. It was chilly here today and I am a wimp and scared for what's to come! Love you! Caroline wants to "play Skype with cousins" so we'll talk to you soon.

The Winegar's said...

You went without me - sigh. I'm glad that you made it to the "Village". It's a fun place. Autumn is my favorite and the rain, snow and cold make it cozy which is my kind of thing. Glad that you had another great time there.