Saturday, November 6, 2010

10 (almost)

Andrew celebrated his upcoming birthday with his friends on Friday night.

I asked him what he wanted to do a while ago and he told me that he wanted to see a movie. Perfect, I thought. We will just go to the dollar theater and it will be one of the cheapest birthday parties on the planet.

Unfortunately, he had other ideas which included seeing the Megamind movie. He also said that he wanted to see it on opening night. When he told me this I had no idea when the movie even opened but he must have been praying really hard that his idea would become a reality because it opened on a night when we didn't already have plans and I didn't have to work. And how do you say no when he is telling you that he has only been to the theater on opening night twice in his short lifetime?

So it was written, so it was done.

The boys met at our place for dinner and presents. They were not interested in cake and ice cream. They wanted to play hide and go seek. So I have a hugemungous cake that was begging to have it be eaten. So I obliged and had a little nibble. But seriously, what group of 10 year old boys does not want cake?



His friends know him well and he got a million Pokemon cards which included the coveted Sharzar...this discovery was met with squeals of glee by all in attendance.



Then off to the theater.




I am so glad I bought the seats ahead of time and I got the good ones in the front row of the second section so we could stretch our legs out. One boy commented that he had always wanted to sit there but they always sat further up. Score one for me.
I was also able to smuggle in 24 boxes of candy into the place in my purse. No one even batted an eye. Suckers. Every boy received a box of red vines and a box of sour patch kids. I think I heard the word awesome used in 11 different contexts and maybe even a different language and another boy said that I was the best ever. Score two for me and I think that even deserves a big pat on the back too.



After getting them all souped up on candy and popcorn we took them home. I was able to listen to burps and fake farting noises and silly little boy talk to my hearts content. I know that it was just code thanking me for taking them to the movie. They are a great group of boys and I am grateful that Andrew has such good friends.

It was a fabulous night. Very low key and perfect. And Andrew was able to say that he saw Megamind on opening night.

Success.

3 comments:

maxfamclan said...

What a great party! I can't wait till the parties are beyond party games at my house and move to other venues. Bowling this year was awesome...especially clean up! ;) Cute boy talk too, I'm so glad you've learned that second language!

The Winegar's said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all!! Happy Birthday Andrew...I'm glad that you had such a fun birthday and (I think) all your wishes came true. And Corinne, what a great mom. You think of everything.

Jer + Lu said...

What a great party. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done!