Friday, November 26, 2010

Dear Nicholas,

I have been trying to put my thoughts into words for weeks now about how much I love you. You just received an awesome gift for your 12th birthday. You were ordained a deacon and received the power of the Aaronic Priesthood. The bishop said that you now have more power than the President of the United States.

You are such an amazing young man. I have been very blessed, I realize this, that you are truly a good, good boy. You are extremely talented but humble about it, so kind to your brothers but also a huge tease at the same time, and one of the most repectful 12 year olds I have ever met. You will do what you are told when me or your dad asks you to do something, usually the first time. You are not always happy about it but you will do it.

You are responsible. I feel sometimes that you are even a little too responsible and I feel a bit guilty for that because I work so much and feel I ask a lot of you at times. You seem to take everything in stride but I sincerely hope that you will not look back on your early years with regret and I hope you have had a wonderful childhood with the promise of many more memories to come. I think you realize that I am doing the best I can and the hugs you give me give me such comfort because although I am not the perfect mother and could have taught you so much more or done more things with you, I know that you appreciate and love me for what I have done.

You have a wee bit of an OCD perfectionist complex which can be frustrating sometimes because you don't realize how wonderful you are because you think you need to be perfect.

I want the best for you and your brothers. I want the usual parent things like I want you to do well in school. I want you to go on a mission. But above all things, I want you to be happy and dream big. From your earliest days I’ve tried to teach you generosity and a constant awareness that everyone you meet is a fellow child of God. I ask that you become of great use to your fellow man. That you mourn with those who mourn and comfort those that stand in need of comfort.

You are well on your way to doing this. The other day it warmed my heart to see you give a sincere apologetic hug to Andrew after you had hurt his feelings without being asked. You went and made sure your friend at your birthday party that was a little grumpy was included and having a good time.

I love you Nicholas Justin. I hate that you are growing up but I love it at the same time. You are turning into a funny, charismatic, and delightful young man and I am so happy that you are my son.

2 comments:

The Winegar's said...

Nicholas is a wonderful young man. It seems like yesterday when he was born and all the fun, cute things that he would do. I am so proud of him and the great person he is becoming. You and Justin are doing a terrific job of bringing up your boys. Yes, they will be boys but in the end the are good, kind, thoughtful and fun boys. I love Nicholas so much and am so proud of him. Love you, Grandma M.

The Beckstroms said...

Oh that made me cry. I adore Nicholas and he is such a sweet.. boy...well young man! I love you Nick and Caroline adores you as well, you are always so sweet to the girls. xoxo