Tuesday, November 9, 2010

ptc round one

We just finished up parent teacher conferences for the first quarter last Friday.

All of their teachers are delightful. You can tell that they truly love their jobs and care about their students.

Each of them are doing well in their respective classes and the biggest complaint from their teachers is that they are just a bit too social. But I was floored when Luke's teacher told me he was such a good boy...so respectful and focused. I think my jaw dropped to the floor when she said that and I stared at her for a moment before I responded to make sure it wasn't a joke. Such a difference from last year at this time when I would receive emails at least once a week from his teacher telling me something that he had done and I once received two phone calls from the principal about Luke. In the same day.

I wanted to share some things that Nick and Luke wrote. To be fair to Andrew, his teacher loved his so much that she is keeping it. I will have to try to get a copy of it though just to have in my stash of school papers.

Nick's is a poem about WW1 called "The Worst."

Ask me what I saw.
Machine guns roaring,
Bodies soaring,
shells coming down.

Shell shocked people are all dazed,
about what we had to face.
Rats as big as cats
sleeping on your bed.

Your head is filled with dread
For the dead,
Imagine what their mothers think
when they do not come home.

Luke's class each wrote a persuasive letter to their parents. I absolutely love his.
I couldn't figure out our scanner to scan his cute little handwriting in but oh well.

Dear Parents,
I want a frog because it will eat the flies in our apartment. I will train him to stay in his cage. I will pay for everything that the frog needs. I'll get him food when he needs it. I wouldn't let it get lost in our apartment. I won't let Maisy eat the frog. I won't let it get fat like the dog. I won't let my freinds keep it. I won't let it be a class pet. And I will keep it in my room.

Love,
Luke

Although he makes several good points, I don't think he will be getting a frog.
Maybe if he said he would keep his room clean so we could find the frog if it got out. Then perhaps I would have considered it.

4 comments:

The Winegar's said...

Children are usually nicer outside the home than in. I guess they feel they can "let their hair down" at home. It's a credit to you that they are good outside the home.

Wow! You have a poet in the making with Nick's poem. I especially like the last line. And Luke, if you had him ask you in that persuasive way seeing his cute little face and the way he talks you might have a frog now.

The Beckstroms said...

What great writers! I am way impressed. They must get it from their mama :) I totally want to see Luke's original with the cute writing! Way to go boys on great PTC's!

maxfamclan said...

I love that you record the SEP reports! super cute idea. I will remember this after our first one this week! And your boys are adorable. I would like put one on hold for one my girls...maybe even just borrow one for a day to remind me what I am missing. Adorable reports!

Levi said...

Nick, that is impressive.

And seriously, how can you not get the frog? That would be one cool frog!