Tuesday, November 2, 2010

happy all hollows eve eve

What a fabulous day.

It all began bright and early with Nick's last regular season football game against Riverton. And oh, what a game it was.

Since Herriman High opened taking much of the boundary of Riverton High, most of the kids playing against each other on Saturday played together last year on the same team. I think the kids were okay with it but it became very apparent that emotions were running high with some of the parents and the coaches on both teams. The officials were clearly against our team--penalties after almost every good play we would have, they called back a touchdown on our team, would throw flags and call a facemask but wouldn't know the number of the player they called it on, and they would snicker after the penalty was announced. By the third quarter it was becoming quite ridiculous and there were two unsportsman like conduct calls against the crowd. One of the Riverton players broke his collarbone on a play and the coach and his mom accused our coach of telling our player to purposefully hurt this young man.

Hello, they are 11. Why would that even be on their agenda to hurt another player like that when they are just out there to play the game and have fun? One thing that I love about our coach is that he is not out on the field just to win and doesn't teach the kids to play dirty. I am proud to say that we play a mean game of good, clean football.

And to top it off, a Riverton fan from a totally different field came over and started yelling at our players using quite colorful language for some reason. That led to a fistfight between him and a parent on our team and the police to get involved. Thankfully my hubby who can get quite hot headed was not involved but tried to break up the altercation.

Despite all of this, our boys played hard. They dug down deep and beat the Silverwolves and are now going to the playoffs as the second seed in the bracket.

After it was all over, I was exhausted.




When we got home we got down to business. I made doughnuts for the very first time and they were quite delicious. I was a bit intimidated by the deep fryer but it was not as scary as I thought it would be and a whole new world was opened up to me. My thighs won't know what hit them.




We enjoyed them while carving pumpkins.



Then we had our spooky dinner. Mummy wrappings, worms, crescent moons, and witches' brew. Perfect before hitting the streets to pillage and terrorize the neighborhood.



This year we had a cheerleader,




Indiana Jones,

Jack Sparrow one night for trunk or treat,

and Davy Jones for the night of all nights,

and a werewolf.

Nick didn't want to leave Maisy out of the fun so he bought her an angel costume at his school auction. I think she looks very thankful. She thanked him even more by chewing up the wings.

Happy halloween!


4 comments:

The Beckstroms said...

I almost had to vomit when I saw the worms so good job on making a disgusting looking dinner. The doughnuts on the other hand look divine!! I am scared of deep fryers myself, but may have to try. The boys look so perfect, love them!!

thesuperfantasticbeeders said...

Love, love, love the cheerleader!!!!

The Winegar's said...

Eweuuuuu those worms look so real and gross. Good job!! Also, Nick's hair turned out great. You did a terrific job!! I used to make donuts when I was younger. A friends mom would make them. Yumm!
They really aren't that bad are they? Kudos on that feat too.

Jer + Lu said...

Nice job on the donuts! I've been too chicken to try them myself. Perhaps I will now...
And I love you comment, "my thighs will never know what hit them" haha!!