Friday, December 17, 2010

12

We flashed back to my high school days for Nick's 12th birthday party. He invited his entire baseball team and we hit the original Hires Big H in Salt Lake and then went bowling. Two of the guys couldn't come which was a bummer but it was sure fun seeing all these boys in the off season. They are a fun, good group of kids and they are super close friends.

I was a little worried as we entered the restaurant because it was a little tamer than I remember back in the old days. Or maybe I was just an ignorant teenager that didn't realize that my friends and I could have been the loud, annoying ones while everyone else was quietly eating. Either way, it was just small families enjoying their evening with no sight of unruly high school kids and we walk in with ten 12 or so year old boys. They were actually well behaved and the worst thing they did was try to sniff pepper off the table.

As we were leaving we had at least a dozen people ask "Is this a birthday party?" and then commend us for being so brave. So maybe now I was just an ignorant adult not realizing how loud we truly were. One of the comments was from this poor couple seated behind us.

Oh well, we tipped the waitress well and didn't break anything so I feel it was a successful evening.



Then we were off to the glamorous All Star Lanes to get gussied up in our bowling gear.




I think one of my favorite things of the night was watching the different bowling styles of each of the kids.

Here is the anticipatory nervous watcher with the smooth operator in the other lane:

the flailer:

the aloof walk away:

the cheerleader:

I just put this in because this kid is usually so quiet and he was laughing the whole time:


My boys just had fun.

Look at these cute bums:


There was a ton of celebrating. Lots of hugging and high fives. So cute.

Liam smoked everyone...I am pretty sure this was after his fifth strike. No barriers--just a bit of help from good old dad.




Then they decided to make fashion statements as they showcased their skills. And what man's party isn't complete without showing off your sixpack?

Then it was bowling like you were a nun:

And the old school Karate Kid with one pant leg up.


I didn't even break 100 and Justin beat me both times but it made me feel better that he didn't break 100 either.

I am excited that baseball season starts soon so we can see these boys more often. Please remind me that I said this when I want to take this statement back in a few months.

2 comments:

The Winegar's said...

It looks like you have a great time. What's better than dinner at Hires and bowling?! A great combo!!

maxfamclan said...

I think as teenagers we were always loud and annoying. I try to remember this when I start to roll my eyes at the "dance" groups at dinner, etc. it's such a short time. I'm glad you re-visited such an awesome hangout! What a fun party...and you are brave.