Thursday, December 9, 2010

need a little christmas

Bah Humbug.

That has been my attitude lately. Usually I adore this time of year. But this year I just couldn't shake the funk and I am so sick of listening to Mariah Carey rock around the Christmas tree in Christmas shoes I have boycotted the radio.

So, we did something Christmas-y. Old fashioned, back in time Christmas-y. We headed up to This is the Place State Park for their Candlelight Christmas. It was just what I needed.


We were greeted by reindeer and a darling thatched roof hallway that led to Father Christmas. As I was walking down that hallway, drops of rain would reach us and I thought about having to sleep under a roof like that in even worse weather. I sometimes grumble about our living quarters now but it is warm, cozy, and happy. Not to mention it is equipped with heaters for those chilly nights.



The next house was the elves village. The boys were able to decide to put their names on the good or the naughty list. Here is Liam deciding that he had been pretty good this year.


Across the way was a live nativity.

There was a wise man who opened the gate of the pathway to the stable. He said: "We welcome you to Bethlehem and rejoice with us as we welcome the infant king." There was a stable up the hill with goats and sheep wandering around and it was hard for me to hold back my emotion. It was like I was truly there to see the Christ child. It was quiet and peaceful and cold and humble just like it truly may have been so long ago.

I felt this same way as I did sitting in the shephard's fields in Jerusalem listening to Oh Holy Night. I was so overcome with the overwhelming feeling of the truth of this event and how much love our Savior has for us.

This is what Christmas is about.

The rest of the night was just icing on the cake.

We made paper chains to decorate the schoolhouse Christmas tree, watched a puppet show, rode the train,


printed our own Christmas card,


wrote letters to Santa and burned them so the ashes would carry their wishes to the North Pole,


listened to carolers,


made ornaments,



and just had a wonderful evening stepping back in time remembering why this wonderful time of year happened in the first place.

3 comments:

The Winegar's said...

I cried too as you were describing going along the pathway to see the baby Jesus. I too know that He lived and died for us and am so thankful for his love and sacrifice for us.

The Beckstroms said...

It looks like such a great time! Maybe we will have to stop by when we come :) I love how the ashes travel up to the North Pole, greatest idea! And Liam's face with his ornament...priceless. Love you guys, see ya this WEEKEND!!

shell said...

Corinne - your gorgeous photo caught my attention on FB this morning so I clicked to see how you are doing - what a gorgeous family you have! I hope you are doing well - and thank you for the Christmas idea - I will make a point of visiting This is the Place when we get into town next week!
Best Wishes my friend & Merry Christmas
Shelley Elggren Swapp