Thursday, May 17, 2012

*lovely, perfect day*

Due to Parent Teacher conference the boys had a long weekend. The boys always try to finagle a movie out of me or a trip to the rec center when this type of thing occurs, but the weather was unseasonably warm and absolutely delightful so I suggested a day at the park flying the new kites they received for Christmas.

My plan was unanimously received in the affirmative.

We went to Galena Park in Draper. It is a fabulous park with a large field, a skate park, a playground, and an area full of basketball hoops. Something for everyone.

Kite flying didn't start out too well. The three older boys had "manly" kites and Liam was very disappointed that his was a butterfly. He refused to use it for a while. The other boys' kites took so much effort to get up in the air only to come crashing down seconds later. Suddenly Liam was pleased as punch since his was the only one that would fly, and with minimal assistance. He was absolutely estatic when we were able to unravel the entire spool of string and watch his butterfly dance in the sky. He just sat crosslegged on the ground holding his kite and watched it soar with a huge grin on his face.

He wasn't shy about rubbing it in his brothers' faces either. "I used to be sad that I have a butterfly kite but now I love it because it is the only one that works."

We did have fun trying to coax the other kites to fly though.


However, the fun did wear off for those whose kites did not perform. So, they amused themselves with the other activities around the park.


Even Liam indulged. A funny thing happened while I was hanging out on the bench watching the boys at the skate park. A mom was there getting ready to leave and she was rounding up her boys to go home and she called out the name Nick. We chatted a little about how we loved coming early to the skate park so the little kids could play without worrying about the teenagers taking over. Then she called out to her oldest boy, whose name was Nick. I commented that my oldest was a Nick as well and then settled in a little bit to read my book and got to reading until she said to her youngest boy "Okay, Andrew, grab your scooter and we will go get in the car." I whipped my head around and said "that is so funny, I also have an Andrew." We got to talking about how many boys we had and how she has three and she asked me what my other boys names were and when I mentioned I had a Luke, she started laughing saying that was the name of her third boy! What are the odds? But now she knows what to name her fourth boy, if she has one.


We played hard for hours and then decided we were hungry. We went to Wendy's and ate hamburgers.

After we were done eating, Luke spied this little shop and said "And now we will go get a treat." I thought it was a fantastic idea.


All they wanted was a fancy sucker. So as I was paying for our treats the boys found a bench to sit on. I came out and commented how cute they looked and how I needed a picture. Andrew said: "See, I told you she would say that!" and they humoured me with this darling photo.

Then it was cello lessons and baseball practice. Liam brought his kite out again and went into his happy place.

I then joined my sister and my girl cousins for dinner in honor of my darling cousin Christine's wedding the next day. We went to Red Rock and ate the most succulent veggie pizza I have ever had. I have craved it ever since.

Then back to my parent's house for games with everyone. We had a few rounds of the bowl game and then played Mad Gab and laughed until our sides hurt.

I dare say that this day was practically perfect in every way.



2 comments:

The Winegar's said...

I don't know what the other boys kites looked like but Liam's was cool. You always have so much fun with your boys!!

maxfamclan said...

That does sound like a completely fabulous day. Complete with smiles, sibling good humored teasing, and no cooking!