Monday, September 2, 2013

*lani*

On Jacob's due date we woke up at 3:00 to go to the peak of Haelakala volcano to watch the sunrise. I thought it would be a fitting way to celebrate his memory.

Justin wasn't super thrilled about this plan of waking up so early but he went along with it and I promised him that we wouldn't have to do this again, this would be the only time.

It is amazing as you drive up to the top because you leave the lush, tropical paradise to something different but equally as beautiful. The landscape reminded me of Utah's mountains a bit because there were pine trees and no remnants of the beach anywhere. It was stunning.

We waited at the top and we were right up in the clouds. It was wet and chilly but I don't think we noticed the cold as much as some because we are used to this kind of weather. We did bring coats and a blanket and it was perfect.



I was eagerly awaiting the moment the sun would come and light up the sky. I found some pictures on the internet to show you what I mean:


Seriously, didn't your heart skip a beat and your ears heard a choir of angels singing "AHHHHHHHHH!" in perfect harmony? Because this is what I was planning on.

This is what we got. And this is what I heard: "Whaaaa-WHaaaaaa"....

It was too cloudy to see the sun except for this little sliver of brightness through the clouds. I was a slight bit disappointed but quickly got over it because Justin said that this had been a fun adventure and waking up this early wasn't as bad as he thought and that he would do this again. That made me feel way better to be able to have a chance to have a much more rewarding experience.

We went to the Nakalele blowhole later in the day and it was pretty awesome. The Nakalele Blowhole is the result of the ocean wearing away the shore below the lava shelf. With each wave, water is forced through a hole in the lava shelf resulting in the "eruption" of water similar to a geyser. Since it was pretty overcast and threatening to be stormy, the waves were pretty big and created some spectacular eruptions.









Isn't this rock adorable? I think Maui knew we were coming.



We played and rested and enjoyed another spectacular sunset.



Sunday was Mother's day. We went to sacrament meeting and I got a carnation. Justin surprised me by thinking ahead and pulled out two mother's day cards from his suitcase. One from him and one from the boys. It made me so happy.

We went to brunch at a darling, intimate place called the Gazebo. There was no waiting area, just a line outside the building that moved only when someone finished their meal. It was raining cats and dogs but how can you complain when the scenery is gorgeous, you have your honey by your side, and they had umbrellas available just for this type of situation. I thought I would feel rushed through my meal because of the line but the waitresses were experts at making one feel at home and comfortable.


Macadamia nut pancakes with coconut syrup. And the topping, don't even get me started. It was to die for. It is not any ordinary whipped cream, it is dream whip, butterscotch topping, and and maple syrup mixed together. Life changing, I tell you.


We drove to Hana. Magical. It was so beautiful that at some points during the drive I actually became teary. It is just another confirmation to me that our Heavenly Father loves us. It is what I imagine what it looked like in the Garden of Eden. I think every shade of green was represented and the color was more vibrant due to the rain that would sprinkle here and there. It truly was a magnificent sight to behold.


There were endless places to turn off the road to hike or to just view exquisite waterfalls and breathtaking views.




















We stopped to watch surfers for a while before grabbing dinner at an amazing pizza place in Paia called Flatbread. There are other locations throughout the country and they only use organic, local ingredients. They also give quite a bit back to the community through community service. The closest one to Utah is in Portland. I am totally up for going anytime if anyone wants to join me. We had kalua pork on our pizza. It was uber delicious and we didn't feel bad that each of us ate half a pizza.







We threw the idea around of sending for the kids and finding jobs here. It truly will be hard to leave.

No comments: