Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Happy Home Evening

This is what Luke was calling it all night last night and so I think we are officially changing the name.

We rolled out our theme of the year to the boys and I think it will be good for all of us to remember to try our best to live to our fullest potential. Our main focus is on the 13th article of faith. How could you not be a better person if you were honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, did good to all men, and sought after the good things in life? I feel such a responsiblity raising boys because they have a bad rap. I want my boys to be good examples and although I know they will make mistakes along the way, my hope is that they will have an inate sense of duty and good.

In another excellent talk by Elder Russell M. Nelson, , he mentions FOCUS as one of the three basic scriptural themes to achieve the goal of the celestial kingdom. He states:
"Imagine, if you will, a pair of powerful binoculars. Two separate optical systems are joined together with a gear to focus two independent images into one three-dimensional view. To apply this analogy, let the scene on the left side of your binoculars represent your perception on your task. Let the picture on the right side represent the Lord's perspective of your task-the portion of His plan He has entrusted to you. Now, connect your system to His. By mental adjustment, fuse your focus. Something wonderful happens. Your vision and His are now the same. You have developed an "eye single to the glory of God."

There is also another wonderful talk "Know your Rights." We are also focusing on one of these a week. It states: "Now, one dictionary definition of focus is "the center of interest and activity." In other words, you have to concentrate onthings that are really important in your life. Consider how important focus is in photography. A camera has a device that enables you to focus on your subject. But notice that without light it is not possible to make pictures. The same is true for focusing on important issues in life. We need the light of the Savior, who said through the Prophet Joseph Smith: "And now, remember the words of him who is the life and light of the world, your Redeemer, your Lord and Your God." If you learn early in life to develop the right attitude, it will stay with you for the rest of your life."

The last talk I will link to is one of my most favorite talks about mothers by Elder M. Russell Ballard. I just love it.

I hope no one thinks I am trying to preach or that I am a theologian. I need to redirect my life and want to lead my children down the right path. I know this post was long and might not be of interest to anyone, but having this word in the back of my mind reminds me of who I want to be. I am hoping that it might help others as well so enjoy.

7 comments:

Adam B said...

I know that I enjoyed reading your post. It is always nice to get reminders of the important things in life and writing them down sure does help to cement things in my head. We miss the boys and can't wait to see you all soon!

Adrianne said...

Love your new theme! I like the idea of FOCUS because it reminds me a lot of perspective, and what we are focusing on and putting our energy into really makes a difference in our attitude. Thanks for the uplifting words!

Mistie said...

Hey Corinne-
i just took the chance and read that talk by Ballard. I think i missed that talk for some reason but i remember hearing that it was a great talk. Thanks for bringing it to the surface for me again. It was a great talk. i think it is great that he mentions we are all different and parent differently and our children all have different needs... etc... etc... i think he put it all beautifully. Anyway- what a great idea too to focus on the 13th article of faith. Your boys are all great kids and i am sure make you guys proud parents and will continue to do so. You do a great job with them!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog too. What an important principle to "focus" on. I thought that Elder Nelson's analogy was so interesting and true. If we focus and have an eye single to the glory of God and hold onto the iron rod then we have a pretty good chance of living the gospel correctly and becoming closer to our Heavenly Father. That's what I pray I will do every day. What a worthy principle to teach your boys, your family. You are such a great mom and like the rest of us mom's want your children to reach their greatest potential. It looks like you are well on your way. As your mother that makes me happy. Love ya.

Whitney said...

I love your new theme! If everyone lived by AoF 13 we'd be set! What a great post. I think that boys DO have a bad rap and it really is unfair. I think that you are doing a great job with yours.

RockinRhoades said...

I also love your posts. You make me want to be a better person. It is hard raising kids because you want them to chose the right but darn it they have to make a few mistakes. Love you Corinne!

Heather said...

I loved it. Very inspiring. I think it helps every person to have direction and guidance in life and also to help them guide the life of their little ones.