Friday, February 20, 2009

I need to vent.

Holy moley.

The last two nights at work have been absolutely insane. Wednesday night was not only super busy but we also had a small flood...about 5000 gallons small...that has temporarily disabled some of our rooms on the unit. This made for a very interesting night last night because the patients that we could normally put into our long term observation rooms (antepartum rooms for those in the know) were put in our labor rooms which made things VERY tight.

Last night we had 4 patients with very bad tracings, pretty much everyone was sick with high blood pressures, doctors were not making plans and if they were making plans they were not talking to me about them, I had the disaster team breathing down my neck at the beginning of the shift, and c section after crash c section after c section, a doctor that wanted to get her elective induction in at 6:00 in the morning and even though I told her multiple times that we literally had NO ROOMS kept telling me that her patient was anxious and would go really fast and kept calling(guess who!!) ...time seemed to stand still.

There were some good highlights however. My coworkers rocked in the teamwork department, I could have literally kissed my HUC on the lips for keeping up my board. The patient we had that even though she was very nervous on her way to the OR for her crash C/S that reminded her husband to bring the camera. The baby had a heart issue that required it to be passed to the NBICU. Baby did great and stabilized quickly so I went to get the dad to take him to see the baby. Upon entering the OR to get the dad, I saw the pt was vomiting. The patient told the husband between heaves to go see the baby and again reminded him to not forget the camera. I just thought it was so cute because she was already putting her baby first and didn't want to miss a moment of its little life even in the midst of her discomfort. We had another sweet dad that after hearing mom and baby were okay after their crash C/S cried because he was so relieved. It really is so nice to see couples who care so much about each other and their sweet, new bundle.

I am glad there are these shining moments within the chaos because it does make it worth going back. It is also nice to know that it is my weekend off and laboring, sick, preterm, crazy busy insanity will be the last thing on my mind.

8 comments:

Erin said...

So sorry you had to go back for another night after our crappy Wednesday night! And sorry you had to deal with that MD (we all know who it was) trying to get her induction in - which I'm sure was just elective! Way to look on the bright side and notice all those good moments - those are sometimes what helps us keep coming back to work (otherwise, I think we might all quit after having shifts like that!) You're such an awesome charge nurse and I always love working with you!

The Pond's Lily Pad said...

OH JEEZ....sounds like a nightmare. It seems like things have been going downhill a lot lately at work; sometimes it makes me wonder how any of us can even bear coming back another second. It's your weekend off; have a good one. I get to do 3 in a row. Yae for me. Hopefully the flooding is over!! And I hope you told JVH to stick it, and recommend she take some English classes so she can understand what "NO" means.

maxfamclan said...

Wow! I am so sorry! And yet I am sure there are many grateful that it was you in charge (both because it wasn't them and because you can handle it). I think your grateful heart is still hard at work as you continue find good moments even among some of people's scariest times. I am so glad you get a weekend off! Enjoy the lovely weather!

Adrianne said...

Patients are lucky to have wonderful people like you and your awesome team who kept it all together. You are always smiling and upbeat in a crunch- which is why we love to work with you!! And we can all be greatful for the shinning moments that amid the chaos remind us why we are there. For sweet small glimpses of peoples joy and happiness! Enjoy your weekend!

How does your tuesday look?

Malma said...

holy crappy! i'm so sorry. that "MD" needs to get a hint; guess some things never change. i've missed work, but not that part...mostly just you fabulous co-orkers. have a good weekend off!

Whitney said...

Oo geez. It takes a brave soul and a big heart to go into nursing. I didn't realize you were on labor and delivery. Is that what it is called? Sorry work was such a bummer, but good for you for looking on the bright side.

Heather-joy said...

Corinne I am sooooo glad you were there to keep things sane Wednesday and Thursday night. I am sorry the docs weren't communicating with you!!! You did a SUPERFREAKINGFANTASTIC job charging! As for the flood, what an exciting thing, I lived through my first code yellow and through having mamma coming in way early on a night shift to help with that code yellow! You deserve a bazillion caring coupons, you were seriously EVERYWHERE helping all of us with our naughty babies. Love you sooo much!

Sandie said...

I had to take a couple of deep breaths just reading your "vent", it's still so stressful too think about. You did great! I am so happy to work with you. I just wish it happened more often! You are amazing. Love ya!