Sunday, February 15, 2009

HEARTfelt

This Valentine's day isn't one to go down in the history books. We didn't do anything too exciting or have anything planned due to the fact that I was scheduled to work Friday and Saturday night.

When I got home Saturday morning, I had heart shaped waffles waiting for me that Justin and the boys had made. The boys were so excited to give me this simple gift for Valentines day and help make my day special. I feel bad that all I did was sleep and not much was planned for them, but don't feel too bad for us, we are planning to have a super fun day on Monday and celebrate a belated V-day because there is NO SCHOOL and NO WORK for anyone. YAY!

I also realized that my year has ended for my gratitude journal. Although I have not been very diligent the last couple weeks, this exercise really helped me put things in perspective for me. As I was reading through the entries, the things I was grateful for became more and more meaningful and there were definate common themes throughout many of the posts. My boys, my family, the gospel, good values, diet coke, and my hubby.

I feel that Justin gets lost in the hustle and bustle of my everyday life and sometimes it can feel that we are roommates rather than husband and wife. It is hard to even have a simple conversation let alone have a regular date night with the crazy schedules not only Justin and I have but the boys' as well. There are multiple conversations going on at the dinner table at the same time and if there are not conversations there is screaming, fighting, laughing, crying, or some other sort of noise going on that requires our attention away from each other. I love my boys so much and would and will do anything in the world for them, but Justin is the one who came first. He is my love, my sweetheart, my best friend. I still get butterflies when I see him and when he is all dressed up and smelling amazing I want to attack him. *purrrrr* Babe, I just want you to know that I still choose you first, I love you dearly and am grateful we have eternity to be together.

I know of some people who have a word or a phrase they concentrate on during a year to help them complete goals or become a better person. I like this idea and am officially implementing this now. I figure because of my gratitude journal my catch phrase last year was GRATITUDE. Making myself list things I am grateful for everyday shifted my priorities to what is really important in life. This year our word is FOCUS. FOCUS on what is really important. We are going to introduce our word for FHE on Monday night and I hope to post things this year that will help me FOCUS on my family, how to be a wonderful wife and mother, the gospel, and how to be more like the Savior. It is a long journey but baby steps will get me where I need to be. I just will have to FOCUS.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Corinne, you are amazing! I'm so honored to be your mother. Reading your blogs help me to be a better person, wife, and mother. Thanks for your inspiring words.

Malma said...

I'm sad the year of gratitude has ended already! It was so fun to read! Oh, and I love that The Mayan is on your dinner list...we took Bella there for the first time a couple weeks ago..its now one of our favorites too!

RockinRhoades said...

You are the best Mom and I hope to be more like you. I am glad I am no the only one that feels like my husband is a roommate. Once a week date nights would be AWESOME!

Whitney said...

What a sweet post! I think that FOCUS is a great theme for the year! I hope you and Justin did get a date night or will get a date night!

maxfamclan said...

I love this post! What great ideas and what blessing your gratitude list has been to the rest of us. I love that I have your example!

Anonymous said...

Babe, There is so much I want to say about what you wrote in this post. You are an amazing woman and truest blessing in my life. I am so thankful for you. What you said put words to so many of the feelings I have had over the past couple of years. You have and always will be first in my book as well. I truely love you and the spirt you carry. You truely are beautiful both on the outside and inside. It is amazing to see and hear from all the people that read this blog and have been blessed by it. You one of the greatest treasures god gave to this earth. What an honor I was given the day you said "yes". I could never have comprehended what meaning that simple word carried with it. Thank you for being such a wonderful mother, the friend you always have been, the lover you are, the spiritual guide you have become, the cheerleader and listener you are always willing to be. Most of all thank you for being who you are! I love you Corinne and always will.

"J"

Heather-joy said...

You are amazing Corinne. You are an amazing mom and you have an amazing husband and amazing children. I love it when I hear you talking to one of the boys in the morning before they go to school. You are so sweet with them. And to see Liam get sooo excited to see you the other morning when Justin brought him in was so cute. Thanks for being such a great example to me :)