Tuesday, March 2, 2010

*thanks*

Isn't the power of gratitude amazing?

I used to think myself a pretty nice person. I say thank you and do nice things for people, but I have a lot of work to do. One of my downfalls is writing thank you notes. It is not that I hate writing them, they just are hard for me to write, to make things sound real and sincere and so I just have put off the art of writing them. I don't think I even finished the ones from my wedding.

But there is something powerful about a written thank you.

In the last three and a half weeks I have received 4 thank you cards telling me how much people appreciate me and what I do for them, how I inspire them. Every one of them made me cry.

Funny thing is that I was receiving a favor from one of the authors and she thanked me for the opportunity to serve and made me feel super good about myself, another I received from one of my best friends that has always been there for me and want to be as good of a friend to her that she is to me that I have been feeling guilty about not seeing for months and we finally got together telling me how good of a friend I am and inspire her to be a better friend, one I was just doing my job and took care of the most amazing patient ever, and another one was because I was totally bugged last night because I was called into work ten minutes after I was called off. My cute hubbs wrote me a beautiful card and bought me roses because I was a grouch.

How lucky I am to have such wonderful influences and a husband who truly loves me for who I am.

Then, I opened up this month's Ensign and there is a slew of articles about gratitude. One was particularly interesting to me since it was about writing thank you notes and how one made a dying woman feel so important. You never know how much a kind word can help someone and lift their spirits.

I have wanted to be better about this for some time, but I have a new resolve. I think that expressing gratitude is so important and makes one so happy to read how much they are appreciated. I have so much to be grateful for and I need to make sure that my loved ones know what they mean to me.

Does anyone know where to find cute cards? I may even send you one.

5 comments:

A said...

girl, we have DARLING cards here! and you can fill them in while hanging out at the beach and feeling grateful at being in NZ!

i struggle at what to write in cards as well, as i have also received some phenomenal ones, and my pat reply of thankyouverymuchforthelovelyshirt just doesn't compare! my suggestion is you read through the fantastic ones you have received and copy out the good parts! it's not cheating, its continuing the flow of gratitude!

The Winegar's said...

You are so, so right. Thank yous are the best and how wonderful that you received them acknowledging what a wonderful person and example you are. Don't beat yourself up for not writing thanks but just start now and do it. I love you.

I'll call you and tell you where you can buy some cute cards or I have some that I have made.

maxfamclan said...

Target has the cutest choices! I love writing thank you notes! I am way better at that then phone calls (I am the worst at returning calls). I just had a YW lesson this last Sunday and it was such a nice refresher. Some of the best tips: Use the persons name, say thank you for, then say something sincere about what you liked about was given, then say thank you again and sign off. It doesn't have to be hard, just honest. Good luck!

The Beckstroms said...

I still have a note that you wrote me when I was in Jr. High thanking me for being a good sister. You left it on my bed with a darling Basket Loft teddy bear while I was napping. I LOVED it and thought (and still think!) that you were the coolest ever. You've always been so grateful. Let's go card shopping while I'm in UTAH!!! or San Francisco :0

Jer + Lu said...

I agree-- Thank you cards are the BEST!! It totally makes your day just to get mail, then to have it be something so personal + thoughtful... ahh :)

Any little boutique would have cute cards. Better yet, make your own!