Wednesday, April 7, 2010

cinni-yum

I have until recently been a little intimidated by yeast.

Baking yeast, not the other kind that I tend to see on a regular basis at work.

Not only does the word sound a bit creepy and gross but I never knew what kind to use, my dough never seemed to raise the way I wanted to, and people would talk about it like it was sacred. Wait until the yeast is alive, let it activate...these terms confused me and made me nervous.

Well, I think I have started to become a bit more confident with this eluisve ingredient. I have made a homemade pizza crust from a recipe that my sister gave me that involves yeast and these delicious and super easy and delicious cinnamon rolls.

I got this from a friend at work I think over 2 years ago. I have lost it several times and had to ask her to make me another copy each time. Finally she just emailed it to me. I finally made these for the first time on Easter Sunday.

CINNAMON ROLLS

1 yellow cake mix
2 1/2 cups water
2 TBS yeast
4 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
Margarine, sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon

Soften yeast in warm water. Mix in cake and flour. Knead dough until smooth (it was extremely sticky!). Let dough rise for 1 hour then roll flat on floured surface. cover with layer of softened margarine, then sprinkle with sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Roll into log and cut into rolls. Place rolls on cookie sheet and let rise for an additional 1/2 hour to an hour. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and frost immediately.

So if you don't want to wake up at 4 am to bake your family delicious rolls because I sure don't--there are two options. I put mine in the fridge overnight and took them out an hour before baking and my friend lets hers raise first for an hour and then puts them in the fridge overnight and takes them out a half hour before baking.

FROSTING:

4 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 TBS milk

Soften cream cheese and butter in microwave. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

The Winegar's said...

MMMMmmmm sounds yummy. Can't wait to try them. After the diet of course. Haha

Gold-E said...

I was a total dough-making failure until I learned you have to proof the yeast. Add a tsp of sugar with the yeast to warm water and let it foam. Your dough will rise everytime!

Lindsey Buck said...

Yes, yeast is quite terrifying. I do not blame you for avoiding it, but congratulations on overcoming your fear.