Sunday, August 22, 2010

good old days

Last Friday night the fam headed over to see the inaugural Herriman High school football game versus the Hillcrest Huskies. Football season just started for Nick and he was able to wear his new jersey to the game and even get in for free.

The line was insane. We were a little late, mind you, due to Nick's practice getting over a bit late so we were able to find a place that wound from the field, up the side of the school and halfway down the sidewalk to the front doors of the school. We ended up getting in the stadium right before halftime.

This was after we were in line for about 10 minutes...



We were afraid that we weren't even going to find a seat but we did...on the visitor's side. Luckily we weren't the only Herriman fans over there and we had some friends to sit by.





It was fun watching the team come out onto the field, they had both a dance team AND a drill team perform at halftime (the boys were a bit confused as why they needed both and what the differences were), and although I am sad that the summer is coming to a close, this was a great reminder of what is to come in the fall.






I sat there watching the fans, listening to the cheerleaders, listening to the band, and remembering the good old days at East High. Us Leopards had spirit coming out our eyeballs. I was a bit disappointed during the game when the band was playing their school song and no one was singing along. I threatened to stand up and sing our old fight song but Justin had a look of complete terror on his face because he knew I was serious so I refrained. East pretty much lost every single football game that we played but we were there every single week cheering our guts out. I absolutely loved high school and I honestly believe that I had the best class ever to come out of there. I was blessed with incredible friends and not only were they sincere and loyal, they were amazing people. We didn't drink, didn't do drugs, made stir fry on Friday nights, sang together, went hiking, and if we were to get really rowdy we would get in my friend's van and go over dips in the road super fast. I also loved the guys that we hung out with. If my boys are like that in high school, I will have nothing to worry about.

A couple weeks ago a few high school girls got together. I haven't seen most of them since our ten year reunion 7 years ago and to be honest I was thinking that it would be awkward. I have kept in touch with facebook and blogs but face to face is different. What would we talk about? Would we just try to relive high school and then once that was over would there be silence that we would just be trying to fill with meaningless jabber?

I had the best time. These amazing friends that I had in high school are amazing women. Strong in the church, want what is best for their families, good heads on their shoulders, funny, funny, awesome women. We made stir fry for old time sake thanks to Amy and Saydi and sat around and talked for hours. It was rejuvenating to have such fun girl time and not only reminisce but to talk about what we wanted for our future, what we wanted for our kids and how we hope that we can navigate them through all of the crazy temptations that are out there and have them become successful, happy kids...and teenagers. It was so relaxed and wonderful to reconnect with these beautiful people.



I love you girls and for those of you that couldn't make it, we will definately be doing it again next summer so hope you can make it so I can see you too!

4 comments:

Here And Happy! said...

Ah, football season. That was fun.

maxfamclan said...

My hubby and I were just commenting on how much we love fall (and it's not because of certain birthdays either), but partly it IS because of football. Soooo fun!!! Makes me wish I had boys!

Jer + Lu said...

How fun for you! Your HS days sounded delightful. Glad you got to hang out with your old pals :)

Mary Anne said...

I tried to comment on this last week, but it didn't work for some reason. Anyhow, I totally agree with you about our amazing high school class and group of friends. I do have a picture from our little get-together up in Park City, so I will send it to you.