Tuesday, August 24, 2010

silver lake

With the long summer days threatening to end and our free time on Saturdays slowly dwindling away, after Nick's football practice on Saturday we decided to take a family drive up to Brighton and walk around Silver Lake.

Silver Lake is beautiful and it holds a special place in my heart since it is where Justin and I were engaged (almost 14 years ago now!). When we got there, Luke said: "It isn't a lake, it is more like a pond." Oh well, you can't please everyone.




These two climbed every single rock and every time Luke would get to the top of one he would want me to take his picture. I indulged myself since I don't get that kind of opportunity very often.


We decided to head up to Twin Lakes since we had some time and it was absolutely beautiful. I am a bit out of shape and haven't been hiking for a while so I think I forgot that a mile hiking straight uphill is different than walking on a nice, paved road. We were so not prepared for a more difficult hike since we had just originally planned to take a leisurely stroll around the lake so I had two kids in flip flops and no water to drink. I was grateful that I was able to take it easy up the hill since I was walking with Liam. He was a trooper and did not complain once the entire way up.

A nice woman coming down the trail offered to take my picture because she said that "moms are never in the picture, they are always behind the camera."


We made it to the top and in the end, the boys thought the work to get there was totally worth it. Luke thought it was so awesome that we were walking on a trail that people ski on and liked looking at all the trail markers to see where the ski trails went. Luke and Liam waded a bit in the water and Justin gave rock skipping lessons. He was a great teacher because everyone who tried to skip a rock succeeded.






We saw quite a few animals...ducks, chipmunks, squirrels, and this little guy is a badger or a beaver. I think.

We went to the information center before heading to the car for a much needed potty break and a long drink of water. There were some fun interactive displays set up so we hung out for a while and boys made animal tracks in the sand and played with fake poop and tried to guess what animal it came from.

We had a great time hanging out as a family and with all of the extracurricular activities the boys have and work it is becoming more important to me to spend time together doing quality activities. I think I just need to be more proactive about planning things and hopefully we will follow through. Hopefully we can squeeze in another hike before the summer officially ends!

1 comment:

The Winegar's said...

What a great family activity!!! I bet you had a great time and what a fun thing for your family to do. I think that that animal is a gofer/woodchuck. It's definately not a badger or a beaver.