Tuesday, September 25, 2012

*one weekend in june*

One weekend in June my sister, mom, and I ventured to Hogle Zoo to see the new Arctic Shores exhibit.

It is probably one of the coolest things the zoo has ever done. I wonder though if my thinking may be a little warped since our zoo is old and doesn't really have any animals and needs a major overhaul but all they are really adding are more eateries instead of animal exhibits but oh well.

I should just be happy that we now have black bears and polar bears back at the zoo.

Now if we could maybe get a lion?

It was pretty awesome to see this sea lion swimming about.



And I could have watched the polar bear for hours. I do want to go back when it is not so busy to just have it come up and say hello at the window. So darn cute. I wish they weren't so vicious in real life.





It was so blasted hot that day. The boys loved the misting fans. A lot.


A ride on the merry go round...










...and some ice cream ended the day nicely.


The next day Justin and I decided to take the boys hiking. We went up to one of my favorite hikes while I was in high school called the Living Room. I just knew the boys would love it.

It sucked rocks.

To be fair to my wimpy boys, we did drag them up the mountain in 90 degree weather and there really isn't any shade along the trail. I got super bummed out that I was stuck with the whiny bunch while Justin plowed ahead with Nick.

Liam kept slipping and yelling "I HATE HIKING" every thirty seconds and Luke would just plop down in the middle of the trail and cry and cry. Andrew kept saying how he was trying to look at the bright side but every time we would turn the corner and would not be at the top he would throw his head back and groan. I wanted to scream at them and shake some sense into them and it was really, REALLY hard for me to be encouraging and not degrading.

It was one of the most miserable experiences I have ever endured.

We finally made it to the top.

And they were happy.


It has been slightly rearranged since I have been up here last and they added some fun decor:



We had a picnic up there and the boys loved looking at the valley and trying to figure out what everything was from way up on the mountain.


We even saw the zoo. The very place we had been the day before. They thought it was the coolest thing ever.
















Note to self. Don't take the boys hiking when it is wicked hot outside. Unless I have earplugs. And a lot of chocolate.

No comments: