Friday, September 28, 2012

*champions, finally*

On July 2, the Scrappers played for the 13U Utah state championship.

I feel a little guilty because during the latter part of June, Nick and Justin would go watch the team play and I didn't realize it was the playoffs for such a tournament. And I almost didn't go to this game because I had worked the night before and didn't get much sleep that day. Thank goodness Andrew and Luke had orthodontist appointments out in Herriman that afternoon or else I probably would not have shown up for this game and I would have missed all the fun.

Imagine my surprise, however, when I walk up to the field and I see Nick swinging a bat with his cast on. My husband and son thought it would be a good idea to manipulate the cast so he could grip the bat better so they actually took out a chunk between the thumb and the pointer finger. Justin was so excited to tell me that "he is hitting the cover off the ball" but all I could see was something happening to the bones above the cast and his baseball days would be over forever. I got over it and just prayed that nothing terrible would happen.

It was a little frightening, though, to watch him slide into a base with his arm held up high. I actually closed my eyes a couple times.



They played against the Timberwolves, a team we had played multiple times during the season. We always fared pretty well against them so I had a good feeling about this game.

Here is Nick pitching. He did a good job despite not playing for four weeks.





And yes, he did hit with his cast on. Shhh, don't tell the doctors.


And all that voodoo mumbo jumbo they performed at their barbeque must have worked because they won! Utah state champions baby!


Here they are lining up to get their rings.






We are so lucky to have such a wonderful mentor and friend for a coach. Thank you for everything.






Great job boys. I knew you could do it!

No comments: