Monday, November 9, 2009

Happy birthday Andrew!

Nine years ago on November 8, 2000, I went in to have an induction for my second baby boy for IUGR and low AFI (Intrauterine growth restriction and low amniotic fluid). I had been on strict bedrest from 24 weeks until 34 weeks and then it was modified up until this day at 37.4 weeks. The doctor said a good goal for me would be to make it until 26 weeks. I did not know then what I know now and I am relieved and so grateful that he did not come then.

I went in for a routine non stress test on Monday the 7th and found my level was around 3 and a normal one is between 10-25. My doctor was out of town that day and so they wanted me to wait until he returned home to be induced. I remember being nervous going home because my doctor said that he would induce me if my fluid was less than 5. Luckily he was a friend of the family and returned home the next day and he told me to go on in.

I arrived at the hospital and I am pretty sure they were slammed. When I went to check in they asked me who my doctor was and if I had an appointment. I said no, Dr. B just told me to come on in, they replied: "Oh, that's typical" and  had me wait in the waiting room. I got into my room at about 10:00 and was started on pitocin. I remember asking the nurse just how long this was going to take because the baby has to be born before midnight since I had my first son's second birthday the next day. She told me the typical answer that I now give my patients: "Oh, labor can take a while. Once you hit four centimeters we want you to dilate at least a centimeter an hour, but you are only two centimeters now..." I thought to myself that if they did share a birthday, we would just lie to them and tell them their birthdays were on different days to let them have their own special day.

I got my epidural at 1:00 and after that I think I was the least important patient for a while because I don't remember much happening, just loving feeling comfortable. Right before 4:00, Justin went to go grab something to eat and at 4:00 I received a phone call from my mom: "Why isn't the baby here yet?"
"Sometimes these things take time, mom, I will call you when he gets here."
And as if he heard the phone call and wanted to please everyone, my water broke. Holy pressure. Pushed the call light. Pushed it again. Twenty minutes later the charge nurse came in and checked my cervix..."Oh, the baby is right there!" Really? Because it feels like my bum is going to fall off. Page Justin overhead. Page the doctor. All present and accounted for? Okay, push. 4:58 pm. Boy.

Nine years later you continue effortlessly to make people happy. You love collecting things--it is hard keeping up with the changing of all the fads...Pokemon cards, Yu-Gi-Oh cards, and now Bakugan. You love legos. And you still love, love Star Wars.

My darling Andrew, you are such a sweet, sweet boy. You are always concerned about others and to give an example of how much you care about others and their feelings is at your friend party, you received 200 tickets for being a birthday boy so you could pick out a cool prize. You pooled your tickets with two friends and one of their little brothers and ended up with just 100 tickets in the end. Not one complaint, not one remorseful thought. You just wanted to help out your friends and give them more than they could get on their own.
You get so concerned when others get upset and try to make things better by offering solutions or even just a hug.
You love with all of your heart and try to do what is right all the time. You do your best and work hard to get what you want.
I love you dearly and am so glad you are my not so little nine year old boy.














3 comments:

RockinRhoades said...

What a little sweetheart you have!

The Winegar's said...

Love him to death!! I know about being giving and not needing much. When we took them out to let them pick out what they wanted for a present he just picked out a football and a shirt. He could have chosen more but was satified with what he got. Grandpa and I love you and happy that you "heard" the phone call and came when you did. See, you were being considerate even then so that you and Nick had separate birthdays.

The Beckstroms said...

I love reading about the 'birth stories'...I didn't realize I didn't really remember Andrew's. I figured out I was in D.C. when he came..sad, but boy was I in love when I met the little guy! We LOVE you Andrew, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Caroline says, "Andew is happy!"