Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My first born

My life was forever altered on November 9, 1998 at 12:52 p.m. No other moment in my life would change me in this way and nothing could prepare me for the stress, the unconditional love, the tears, the incredible joy and frustration that would come along with this new calling.

I became a mother.

I was handed this perfect, helpless, beautiful boy and I was completely smitten.  And now, he is eleven years old and I love him more than ever.






Nick, I love you for the young man you are becoming. You have such a big heart and although you know how to push buttons and be a big pain in the rear, you really want to do the right thing and be a good person. I love that in front of your friends at your class halloween party I was helping at you came and gave me a big hug and let Liam hang around with you and sit on your lap. Your teacher came up to me that day and told me that you are such a big help and so sweet to a girl in your class that was adopted about a year ago from China and struggles sometimes. You help her with her classwork and you make sure that she has a friend to play with at recess.
I love that you are nice to your brothers most of the time.
You came home from school the other day so excited because you received straight A's on your report card. You then said: "If I keep this up I can get into a good college." Even though you know how to have fun and be a goof ball, you have a good head on your shoulders and think into the future and what will be good for you.
You are a perfectionist. This can be good and bad because you want to be perfect at everything you do. You are also very competitive and this adds to the perfectionist spirit you have so you are either really easy or really hard to live with around certain events like football games.
Lately we have been having some really good conversations before you go to bed. You were upset a couple days ago because a sixth grader threw your football over the fence because you accidentally hit him when you were passing the ball to your friend. You had tried to get it but the fence had barbed wire on it. You didn't want me to tell anyone because you didn't want anyone to get in trouble so I told you to go to the office and tell them you accidentally threw it over the fence. You looked at me and said you couldn't do that because it would be lying. Luckily, your good friend was able to get the ball and for you and you saved your integrity.
I love you so much and am excited to see what the next year brings!










Having banana splits on his birthday!

6 comments:

The Winegar's said...

I love Nick and the young man he is becoming. He IS all that you say he is. Keep up the good work and attitude and you are going to go far.

Erin said...

Oh I just love you and I love your posts about your beautiful boys! What a sweet mom you are! I sure miss you!

The Kleins said...

You really know how to get me choked up. You are such an amazing mom. I love the inspiration you give me. Happy Birthday Nick!

BTW, be glad he didn't climb over the fence. My sister did that at about the same age and when she jumped down her leg got caught on the barbed wire. OMG! I was the grossest, deepest, gash I think I've ever seen. It was 10cm across and 2cm deep. She has the biggest scar on the back of her leg now.

Lindsey Buck said...

Ok, this officially made me feel old! Your Nick is the first kid I remember coming in to the family, and meeting him at Christmas. You have the most adorable sons ever, I'm always happy when I get to see them at family events. Someday I'll be mom... probably... and I hope I have as adorable a family as you do.

Adam B said...

Happy Birthday Everyone! We sure miss you guys. I have to admit it sure looks like you broke your promise not to have any fun at the birthday celebrations since we would not be there to enjoy them with you. The nephs are so grown up. Tell them to slow down a little till we get back :)

The Beckstroms said...

Oh, I remember the day Nicholas was born. First of all it was the BEST excuse to come up from the 'ol BYU to see my first little nephew! Then I went to the hospital and asked for Corinne Winegar...."we don't have a Corinne Winegar here"...I say, "Yes she just called me from here." Wow, I am such a dork, that was NOT your name :) We just love you Nick and hope you had the best day! Yes, please slow down with the growing up thing, how can I bribe you?