Wednesday, October 20, 2010

any dream will do

The original title of this post was going to be Cornbelly's 2 or Twice as Nice or something super creative like that. Never in a million years did I guess what would happen on this magical return to Cornbelly's.

See, we bought these season passes and I thought that Monday night would be a perfect night to go and enjoy ourselves at the fall carnival. We ate dinner and then packed into the car to head to Lehi. We arrived and started to walk to the entrance and Justin stopped and asked: "Is that Donny?" or something to that effect because whatever he said made me stop and look where he was looking and I totally got butterflies. Shut. Up. Yes, it was my crush and his name is Donny Osmond.

Now before you go and judge, I was not a lover my whole life. In fact, I thought he was quite cheesy for a very long time and in fact I still think he is cheesy, but he is a showman for heaven sakes. Then in 1998 my family went to Kingsbury Hall to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I was just going to see the production not expecting to love him performing in it like I did. And when Donny sang "Close Every Door" I was captivated...mesmerized by his pecks, er, I mean his voice and my crush was born.



I am not the type of person to go up to people I know in a crowd, let alone a celebrity. Justin kept asking me if I was going to talk to him and get my picture taken with him but I was too nervous. I then weighed my options because Justin is the type of person to totally go up and talk to anyone and I was afraid that he would embarass me. Donny and his wife were talking with some other people and then started walking away and we were walking the direction they was going so I decided to make my move.

I started approaching him and I said: "I am so sorry to bother you with this but do you mind if I get a picture with you? I totally have a crush on you." He chuckled and flashed that famous, sparkly smile and looked right at Justin. Justin said: "It's okay, I know about it." It was a statement similar to those spoken as a polititian ends their commercials and states that he approves his message sent out to the masses. Since he received the okay from Justin, Donny agreed to a picture. He lightly put his arm on my back but I didn't know if it was appropriate or not to put my arm around a celebrity's waist so I let my arms dangle awkwardly to the side. I am also totally hunched over and I wish I would have taken my coat off but oh well. I was totally giddy the entire night. And do you realize the jacket HE is wearing? Two of my loves captured forever for posterity.



Then off to the activities.

The jumping pillows were first and then we ventured off into the maze. I am so glad that I had Justin there to navigate and that I didn't attempt to take all of the kids the first time we went. Not only was I completely sleep deprived but I get so turned around in those things. It would have been a disaster.






We made it through unscathed and then the boys rode on the carts, we went on a tractor ride AND a hay ride, the older boys went through the haunted beast and Luke went in a mini haunted house.









Then on our way out it was the boys' turn to be star-struck. They were able to meet and have a book signed by the author Brandon Mull. He is the mastermind behind the Fablehaven series. He was such a super nice guy and signed a book and a bookmark for each of the older boys--Liam was trying to fall asleep on my shoulder--and then posed for a picture. Then we couldn't leave without a picture with some of the Fablehaven gang. The boys left on cloud 9.





Home again, home again to make caramel apples for a treat. I used a recipe from Justin's aunt--

1 cube butter (I know, awesome)
1 cup light Karo syrup
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup brown sugar



This night was absolutely delicious from beginning to end.

8 comments:

The Winegar's said...

You really hit the jackpot with the celebrities! See you're glad that you bucked up and asked to have your picture taken. Totally worth it.

Kate said...

hahaha. Clark and I LOVED this post. I had no idea about you and Donny. The funny thing is, Clark had that song you posted in his head the other day, so we listened to it.

maxfamclan said...

You tell a great story! Even my hubby chuckled with me. What a fun evening! How you make the time is amazing to me.

Unknown said...

Hey lucky you!!

I have a funny story of an experience I had with Donny at a fireside in Chicago, I'll have to share with you sometime. And, he came to church in Janesville one Sunday. Isn't it fun to see celebrities!

Mistie said...

wow...i had no idea you were a donny fan! I love the rush when you see someone famous! That is awesome you went and asked for a picture- that takes courage. I saw that play a long time ago too- probably around the same time as you and it was his nephew who played Joseph...and I thought his nephew was a cutie as well.
Oh, and i really like your hair dark.

The Beckstroms said...

Oh, man, you are so lucky! I still can't believe that you saw him! I love the awkward pic, Adam and I were laughing so so hard, but I think it had to be that way. Arm around him would have been awkward too. Glad your dream came true!

Lohra said...

Totally sweet - at least you didn't ask him to sing "Close Every Door" to you on the spot...shirtless. Now THAT would have been awkward. Way to go for it. :)

Jer + Lu said...

OMG! I am totally laughing my head off!! Who knew your secret crush is the same as my Mom's?!! hahaha!! I am so impressed you got a pic with him + even told him you have a crush on him!! You are my hero :)
BTW- what does his shirt say??