Thursday, October 28, 2010

just to remember

You know when there is a random moment in time that sparks other random moments in time to come alive in your brain?

One of those moments happened to me on Monday.

Luke's cello teacher texted me Sunday night wondering if I could bring Luke up to her class at the U to have his lesson so she could be evaluated by her peers on how well she taught. I agreed and I don't know why it didn't occur to me to tell Luke that he would be getting in front of other people for his lesson, but when we arrived to the class and he realized what was going on, he was not pleased. He sat in the corner waiting for his turn and even got a little teary eyed. I felt terrible. But what do you do? We were there to help out his teacher and I guess I could have gone up to take his place but that did not occur to me at the time.

He had to cowboy up.

With a bribe and me pretending I needed his help getting his cello out of his case, he made his way up to the front. Although he was uncomfortable and clearly not happy to be in this situation, he sat down and did his thing. I give props to his teacher as well because she made him feel at ease and all of the other students and her professor were totally respectful. By the end of his lesson, it was like no one else was in the room.

I was so extremely proud of him I wanted to smooch him on the lips in front of everyone. But that would have caused him to melt into the floor in embarrassment so I refrained. I just bought him a treat instead.

I started thinking about what a little love Luke is despite his bullheaded nature. I thought about the time when he was 3 and we went to the aquarium. We were in the restroom and he was quietly listening to the music playing overhead. He told me that he wanted that music to listen to as he was falling asleep at night because it was so beautiful. I thought it was so sweet that he would even think of that.

In 2005 there was a movie called "Man of the House" that was being advertised with this clip:

One day Justin was grumpy and putting Luke in his carseat. Luke looked right at Justin and asked: "Where's your happy face?" just like the girl in the clip. We all laughed and I thought it was cute that he took what he had heard on a commercial and put it in the correct context.

I love Luke's mouth when he says sandwich.

I love the way that Luke says "Darn it."

I love the fact that he collects everything and anything and puts it in his pockets.

I love it when he sings in his opera voice.

I love the way that he says "suddenly" when he is telling a story.

I love that he wants to go to Nightmare on 13th and he can't even handle the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland.

I love that he always has his tongue sticking out, especially when he is thinking.

I love Luke.

3 comments:

The Winegar's said...

I love Luke too!!!! He's such a great kid and has such a good heart. I love his comments about anything and everything. I'm glad that he made it through the lesson/demonstration.

maxfamclan said...

Being a kids is sometimes so hard. Way to go Luke! Way to go you! It's hard to get through those situations sometimes.

The Beckstroms said...

What a brave boy, that would have been so scary! Way to cowboy up buddy! Adam and I have been saying "Where's your happy face" for the last little bit because of you reminding us of it. It makes me smile every time. And while you are smoochin' him, give him one from ol' auntie!