Wednesday, January 23, 2013

*nutcracker*

The Nutcracker.

I look forward to this night all year. This year was especially special because all four boys are old enough to join us. It made it all the more, well, special.

This year Justin was able to make it out of work a little early so we could eat at the Garden. We got to the top and to the windows just as they were turning on the lights.

We had a great time just being together. There was great conversation and what I loved the most is that there was no electronics used while we were there. That is huge, especially with a 14 year old. One of my favorite discussions was when the boys were trying to figure out the best place to put a zip line from the top of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. You never know...it may happen one day.








I was scrolling through pictures and came across this one from last year. It caught my eye because I noticed that the boys were standing pretty much in the same place in front of the nutcracker this year and I realized how much they have grown.

Especially Nick and Andrew.



Andrew is now almost to the top of the nutcracker's shoulder and last year, Nick was well below the mustache. Now, it looks like he has a hat on or a super fancy hairdo.



The Highland High strings were there performing for the guests waiting for the ballet to start. Liam loved it and gave himself a front row seat by plopping his booster cushion on the floor and listening to the beautiful music.



We sat in our favorite seats and were able to move into the "expensive" seats just down the row from us since it wasn't too crowded. Before the curtains opened, Luke was cute and was explaining to Liam about what to expect during the story, just like he was an old pro.

Liam seemed pretty interested in it. At one point, he was moving up and down a lot and it looked like he was trying to see the stage better. Justin leaned over to see if he was okay and needed to be propped up more but Liam just said: "I am trying to get my underwear out of my bum." But he liked the story and didn't complain one time...not even during the pas de deux. (Which was even more beautiful this year than I remember...maybe it was because I was able to sit and enjoy it and not be bugged by little ones wondering when it is going to be over.)





We also had a great time walking to and from the theater. There is something magical being downtown at Christmas time and there is most certainly something magical about experiencing it with the ones I most dearly and deeply love.

I also wanted to share this post from one of my favorite blogs. This really has nothing to do with Christmas but I have been feeling like I have been struggling lately in being the type of mother that is doing all she can to help her precious children return home to Heavenly Father. Being a parent is a big job. I read this yesterday. It helped me and gave me the courage and determiation to keep trying. And pray harder. For myself and my boys.

No comments: