Monday, January 14, 2013

*the first weekend of Christmas*

I have to admit I wasn't very excited to follow through with all of the activities I had planned for Christmas after I delivered Jacob.

The Festival of Trees started the day after I came home from the hospital and Andrew had mentioned that he wanted to go. I didn't think my heart could take it but the three younger ones kept bugging me so I took them when they got home after school on Friday.

I was trying to arm myself with courage and kept telling myself that as long as I didn't read the sweet stories about why the tree was donated I should be okay. Luckily, the boys don't really like looking at the trees anyway so we went to see the gingerbread houses right when we walked in the door.



Then we hung out in the craft corner. For a long time. We ate delicious scones and chocolate milk then walked down one aisle of trees and the boys announced they were done. I was totally fine with that and so we left happy. There was no whining or complaining which is usually what happens when we are there because they get so bored walking up and down the aisles with crowds of people. So, from now on, when we go to the Festival I will let the boys dictate how the day goes. It was much more pleasant and enjoyable. I may have to visit a second time by myself to admire the trees and cry over the stories but I was not ready for that this year.





We wrote our letters to Santa. Shhh, I never sent this one. I kept it safe in my treasure box. But don't worry, Santa and I are close and so I passed along what Liam dreamed would be under the tree.


We also went to see the lights at Temple Square and saw the candy windows (which I am so excited made a reappearance this year by the way).

Just a word of advice though. Never go on a Saturday night. Holy cow, it was super crowded.

But always awe inspiring.




It was fun because we had never stopped to listen to a concert in the assembly hall before this year. We listened to the choir from Gunnison and they were very small in number but did a fantastic job.







It was a perfect start to the Christmas season.

No comments: