Tuesday, September 7, 2010

cecret lake

For Labor Day we decided to spend the beautiful day hiking to Cecret Lake near Alta. We were much more prepared for a hike this time...jackets for the kids because it was a bit chilly in the morning, no kids in flip flops, bottled water, and a picnic lunch to enjoy at the top.

This hike was a tad easier. I don't know if it is because we are so in shape from the last hike we did or if it is because it is a tad shorter. I would like to think it was the former.

We saw this little guy right off the bat and it was just the first of some of the abundant wildlife we saw during our adventure.


Liam was obsessed with all the rocks along the trail. He said he wanted to pick up every single one and take it to the top. He would find flattish ones that he said were "perfect" and place them in his hat that he turned into a basket. I told him repeatedly that there would be plenty of rocks at the top but he was determined to carry them all the way up the steepish terrain. Of course that meant that Luke had to do it too but he told me that he was doing it so he could build his muscles.




Our beautiful destination:



These two were twinners and they didn't even realize it. I don't think anyone had a question about what team we root for on game days.




Luke wanted this huge walking stick that was in the water. It was a little ways out in the lake and he figured out that if he threw rocks in front of the stick that the waves would push it toward the shore. It took a while but he did it. Then once he took it out of the lake, Liam threw it back in so Luke had to get it out again. He enlisted everyone to help so it wouldn't take so long to get it back.



While the boys were throwing stuff in the lake I took the opportunity to teach them about the ripple effect. I had them look at the ripples and see how far they could go. I told them that if we are nice, then other people will want to be nice and it could keep going and going and all that niceness would be spread to so many people. I also told them that the same thing could happen if we did mean things so wouldn't it be better to be responsible for goodness being spread around than being mean? I got a chorus of "Uh-huh's" and nods of the head so Idon't know if they retained any of it, but maybe it is tucked it away in the recesses of their brains and will remember why it is better to be nice when they have the choice.

This little guy loved our spot because of all the leftover crumbs that were on our blanket. While we were off exploring he helped himself. We also saw some birds that hopped over and Luke found a couple salamanders in the water.


One of my favorite memories was when Liam threw his hat into the air and Luke thought it was a rock. He looked at it coming down and it startled him and he let out a big "OH!" We all had a good laugh over that one.


The walk down was beautiful. We saw so many wildflowers and reminders that autumn is on its way. I really wanted to see a moose but I didn't see one. Justin saw one but Justin can find a white pompom in a blizzard and I don't have that capability so I will have to wait to see if I spot one the next time.


We did see an eagle though which was pretty cool.


The boys are already talking about the next hike but they want to go up Millcreek so we can take Maisy. I say bring it on!

2 comments:

The Beckstroms said...

Finally i can read about all you have been up to!! I have felt so alone without my computer and blogging :) Looks like such a fun hike and there are so many cute pics! I am loving catching up on all your fun events.

The Winegar's said...

Hikes are the best and to do it as a family. That looks like a really nice little lake/"pond".