Monday, September 13, 2010

cuboree

Last Saturday I spent a couple fun filled hours with Andrew and Luke at their Cub Scout Cuboree.

I was not that thrilled to go--you would think that being a mom of all boys I would love all boy things. That is not so. Although I fully endorse the cub scout program and think it is wonderful that Andrew and Luke love it, I am more than happy to send them to these type of things with their leader and call it good.

This time their leaders were not going and no one I knew in the ward was going either. And, there was a no drop off policy (which I would never do...things like that are crazy and who knows who would look out for my darlings) so I told them I would go with them. I was a bit bummed that I would be missing one of Nick's football games but really, I need to support my other boys in their interests and Nick will be playing football for a long time so what is one game in the grand scheme of things?

And like many things I am not that thrilled to do, I actually had fun once I got there.

Here they are learning about first aid and making a little kit:


We learned about Native Americans, made a little game with popcicle sticks and toothpicks, played tug of war, and learned how to have an Indian sword fight:




Did an obstacle course:



Did some leaf rubbings:



and the highlight of the day, rockclimbing.







Luke was like a little spiderman--he was up to the top so fast! I was really proud of Andrew that he made it to the top. He was a bit nervous at the bottom before he began his ascent but he was determined to do it.

Then we had a delightful lunch of hotdogs and chips and a very strange cookie thing that I had never seen before. They ran into some old friends in the stake and hung out with them in the teepee for a while.

In the end, they passed off a slew of requirements and I even got a big hug from Luke and he thanked me for taking them and told me that he had a great time. That, my friends, made it all worth it.

*As a side note, Nick's team beat Viewmont today 27-6. Yay!*

2 comments:

The Winegar's said...

It looks like the boys really enjoyed the day. Some fun activities too.

Unknown said...

Did Indians (Native Americans) have popcycles?