Saturday, January 10, 2009

"If ye are prepared ye shall not fear"

This year in my ward we are working on our 72 hour kits. I am a huge fan of food storage and thought that I would pass along the information that was given to us on Sunday. We are working on them on a month to month basis so I will post the monthly items on my sidebar and keep them up all year so everyone will hopefully have everything they need by December 31. Some items you may have to buy and there is a preparedness "freebie" every month too. Please put aside whatever cash you can each month-it is suggested to have cash in small bills so you are not paying $20 for one loaf of bread since stores will most likely not have change for large bills.

The January items are:
1 gallon of water per person/day. (A family of 5=15 gallons) Be careful when storing, it leaks! Consider a portable filter.

A backpack for each person. You may have old ones or can check DI. Find a handy spot to store them!

CASH

FREE: Keep a working flashlight by your bed.

1. I am grateful for the counsel of our prophets and know that if we follow the counsel we will be blessed
2. after Christmas sales!
3. that Nordstrom has such a fabulous return policy

6 comments:

The Beckstroms said...

I LOVE Nordstrom! We took back that diaper bag that was staining things and it was NO hassle. They are the best.

Adrianne said...

Nordstrom would take back a old tire- no questions asked. Talk about customer service. And thanks for the info on being prepared- that is one of my goals for this year and I haven't quite known where to start. keep it comming!

maxfamclan said...

Love the tips! My ward worked on some things, but there is always something I forget! And after Christmas sales are indeed the best. Especially this year!

The Pond's Lily Pad said...

Thx for the tips; I will look forward to seeing your tips monthly since my ward isn't doing anything like that. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm also excited about the food storage. We have to do dry pack canning once a month. I put my water in empty 2 liter bottles. That seems to work out well. Another store that has FANTASTIC return policy is Costco. We returned a grill that we had used and had had for a year. . . got all our money back and we had no receipt either!

Whitney said...

Oooh! This will be fun! I'm a big fan of the food storage!!