Saturday, January 3, 2009

And to all a good night



What a fantastic day! It was relaxing and pleasant and really, just a perfect day. I think Justin might have a slightly different take on the perfect part due to shoveling and shoveling and shoveling, but we commented to each other that this was one of the best Christmases we've had. Not necessarily because of the gifts that were given and received-although my new cowboy boots are quite adorable I might say-but because the boys are all at such fun stages right now. We have one that doesn't believe in Santa but puts on a show for his little brothers, one that we think doesn't believe but hasn't told us, one that is questioning, and one that has no idea what or who Santa is but caught on fast!

Since our master bedroom is on the main floor and the boys sleep upstairs, we give them one of our cell phones so they can call us when they wake up. They woke up at 4:00 a.m. but being the nice little boys they are, waited until 7:00 to wake us up. What they didn't know was that I was awake at 6:00, too excited to sleep. I laid there for about a half an hour and finally woke Justin up and texted my family and friends to wish them a Merry Christmas. (Sorry if I woke everyone up!). We had a fun Christmas morning, ate breakfast, and my in-laws braved the multiple feet of new snow to visit us.

Speaking of snow, it started at about 9:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve and did not stop until about 3:00 p.m. Christmas Day. We were literally snowed in. Our poor van is not equipped with four wheel drive and we got high centered trying to get out of our driveway to go to my parents house. The boys were able to play with all of their new things for a while and then at 5:00 we were rescued by the snowplow. Once you drove out of our neighborhood, it was like we left a totally different world. Everywhere else was wet with a light sprinkling of snow. It did make for great traveling weather to my parents house and I am so glad that we were able to make it. My Uncle Doug, Aunt Pat and ALL my cousins were there from Michigan. I have two new adopted cousins as well and one of them came and it was fun to meet him. I don't think I have seen my cousin James in about 8-10 years and my favorite comment was when my brother, Matt, went up to him and said that it was so good to finally meet his adopted cousin. Granted, Matt was about 3 the last time that he saw James and wouldn't remember him, but James came back and said: "What are you talking about...I am not adopted!" It really was fun to see the whole family.

We are so grateful for our Savior and for the gifts he has given us. I am especially grateful for his neverending patience with me and the miracle of forgiveness. I cannot express my gratitude enough that I will be able to live with my family for eternity and that he came to this earth to fulfill a plan that helps us be the best we can be.

Merry Christmas everyone (albeit a bit late) from our house to yours.

5 comments:

Whitney said...

BUMMER!

On Christmas our area had a huge snow storm in the evening and the King and I were at a movie with his family, and we about DIED when we saw all of that snow!

Looks like everyone had a fun Christmas!

maxfamclan said...

Nice work Santa! I have never so many unforced smiles in one slideshow!

Lohra said...

I can't believe it's been that long since you've seen James! Man, they need to get out here more. I'm glad you guys could make it too. :)

Adrianne said...

i just caught up on your last few posts! happy to see that you had a wonderful christmas! your boys look super excited about everything that they got! glad that it was such a good one for you!

RockinRhoades said...

I am glad Liam ot his play doh or it could've been a sad Christmas! I worked Christmas Eve night and was also to excitied for the kids to wake up when I got home but I let them sleep in.