Sunday, November 6, 2011

*space-the great unknown*

I have a serious problem.

I formulate grandiose ideas in my head for parties and I expect them to materialize with perfection the day of the party. Most of the time these ideas actually work and the party comes and goes with maybe only a slight variation from the original plan.

Not this one.

I was a mess. I was not as organized as I wish I would have been, I didn't get the pinata I thought would be best, I didn't make little signs for the food with clever little names, I waited too long to start the party favors, the playdough I made did not work at all, and Liam was a little stinker the entire time.

Luckily I have a husband who puts things in perspective for me and that my parents came out to help me in my frantic state.

We had the party at a local park which was good and bad. The kids had fun playing on the playground but that really is all they wanted to do. I finally resigned to the fact that they were six and just let it go. No matter that they didn't want to do any of the party games, they were having fun entertaining themselves. I also forgot to bring a million things from our home so I had to keep having the boys, and one time my dad, go back and get things that I needed but thankfully we live super close to the park. My cute friend upon seeing my playdough disaster offered to go home and make me some. The party favors turned out just fine, and the little signs for the food? The kids can't read that well anyway.

As the kids arrived we had them color a picture of the solar system and ate snacks.


I made these jet packs for all the kids which were a big hit. Except with the birthday boy. He wouldn't even put his on at first. I wanted to yell at him "Do you realize that I spent forever on these? It is a freaking jet pack--you WILL put this on and you will love it!" But I refrained and let him grump around a little more.


He finally came around without my gentle prodding.


I had planned a little game with nuts and bolts in water and having them try to fix the space shuttle but it didn't really go over well. So we opened presents instead.


Then it was pinata time. I will never forget the reaction of one of the girls at the party when I announced that there was a pinata. Literally bouncing up and down she replied: "I have always wanted to do a pinata! I ask my mom everyday if we can have a pinata!" I was adorable. And then when all of the candy spilled out and all the kids were going crazy, she quietly picked up just two pieces. I said: "Look at all this candy! Why don't you pick some more up and put it in your bag?" She replied with "No, that's okay. I have one for me and one for my little brother."



Then we made galaxy playdough. A fancy name for playdough with glitter in it.

Grace.

Clara.

Max.

Jackson.

Bella.

Lea.

Graham.

Collin.

So all in all, the party was a success. I had to realize that it was for Liam and not for me. I don't need to feel like I need to have a thousand activities to keep the kids entertained, they will do that just fine on their own. I also don't need to expect perfection especially from something as volatile as a party.


Cute cousins.

Hopefully I can remember that for the next one.

3 comments:

Maranda said...

Overachiever you!! ;);) How fun! What a fun mom you are! I saw those jet packs on Pinterest...yours are way cuter! Miss working with ya!

The Winegar's said...

I'm glad that I was able to help. It was fun being there and they DID have a great time. Good job Corinne. I love your ideas and that you go to the trouble to try to have fun activities for the kids. Yes, sometimes it doesn't work out but the intent is there and that is what matters.

maxfamclan said...

I get it. I love, love, love birthdays and planning parties. Especially for kids, because it feels safer the adults. In my head it is always amazing, and then I see the budget and time and all those things you saw too. But I think your party was adorable! And those jet packs are awesome! Way to go! I am sure that you squeezed in enough details to make it a great and memorable day. Even if only 1/2 your ideas turn out, you made a fabulous party!